Baylor WT Falls to No. 18 Florida, 6-1

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 5 18:01:48 CST 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 5, 2023

Baylor WT Falls to No. 18 Florida, 6-1
Isabella Harvison earned her first victory of the year on No. 1

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The Baylor women’s tennis team (6-2) dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 18 Florida (3-1) Sunday afternoon at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.

“Florida has a tradition of having great teams, and we put them on the schedule because we knew they were going to push us,” head coach Joey Scrivano said “I think a lot of programs are still figuring out who they are and where they’re going to go. We made some positive steps forward, but obviously, we’d love the results to be different. We will learn from it and grow as a team.”

In the loss, Isabella Harvison picked up her first victory on No. 1 singles, bouncing back 6-1, 7-5, after dropping the opening set. Freshman Daniella Dimitrov took her nationally-ranked opponent, Anastasia Sysoeva, to a first-to-10 tiebreaker after bouncing back and taking the second set, 6-4, despite dropping the opener.

The Gators claimed the doubles point to start the match by winning on No. 2 and No. 3. UF’s #58-ranked duo Rachel Gailis and Bente Spee defeated Alina Shcherbinina and Brooke Thompson ,6-3, while Emma Shelton and Sophie Williams defeated Isabella Harvison and Anita Sahdiieva, 6-4. The Bears’ Paula Barañano and Dimitrov held a 5-3 advantage on No. 1 doubles, as the court went unfinished.

The Bears return to action on Wednesday against Harvard at 3 p.m. in Cambridge, Mass.

RESULTS

Singles
No. 1 – Isabella Harvison def. Carly Briggs, 1-6, 6-1, 7-5
No. 2 – Alicia Dudeney def. Anita Sahdiieva, 7-5, 6-3
No. 3 – Sara Dahlstrom def. Paula Barañano, 6-0, 6-0
No. 4 – #63 Anastasia Sysoeva def. Daniella Dimitrov, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
No. 5 – Rachel Gailis def. Danielle Tuhten, 6-4, 6-4
No. 6 – Emily De Oliveira def. Brooke Thompson, 6-1, 6-0

Doubles

No. 1 – Paula Barañano/Danielle Dimitrov vs. Carly Briggs/Alicia Dudeney, 5-3 (unfinished)

No. 2 – #58 Rachel Gailis/Bente Spee def. Alina Shcherbinina/Brooke Thompson, 6-3

No. 3 – Emma Shelton/Sophie Williams def. Isabella Harvison/Anita Sahdiieva, 6-4

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)