Baylor WBB Completes Marine Leadership Training

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Mon Aug 28 17:29:53 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 28, 2023

Baylor WBB Completes Marine Leadership Training
Student-athletes, staff participated in multi-day event over the weekend

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The Baylor women’s basketball program welcomed members of the U.S. Marine Corps to campus over the weekend for a Marine Leadership Training event.

The multi-day event started with dinner and introductions Friday evening and went through Sunday morning as the group debriefed with the Marine staff and enjoyed breakfast as a team.

“Our goal with bringing in Captain Wall and her fellow Marines was to challenge our players to understand that with the right discipline and mindset, they can push beyond their physical and mental limits,” head coach Nicki Collen said. “Our experience ended up being so much more than that. So many of the USMC values align with ours: connection, communication, cooperation, competition and commitment. The way they (the Marines) were able to weave basketball into the program was extra valuable. We are excited about how this weekend’s lessons can translate into our preparation for the 2023-23 season.”

Programming included an overnight firewatch in the team’s practice gym, distribution of leadership assignments and leadership workouts and a team-building Kim’s Game activity, which requires participants to observe and remember details. At the end of the session, players and staff came together and developed individual and team action plans.

“I’m grateful to have had an opportunity to be a part of such an amazing weekend with people who all share a common goal with one another,” senior Aijha Blackwell said. “The leadership training was everything for me and helped me learn the true tools on what it will take to win championships. I learned a lot and truly believe my personal leadership skills have already grown so much after the experience. My teammates and I learned a lot from one another which will be vital to our success this season.”

To stay up-to-date on all things Baylor women’s basketball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorWBB.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)