Baylor VB Falls to No. 2 Wisconsin in Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge Opener

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Fri Aug 25 20:16:24 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Aug. 25, 2023

Baylor VB Falls to No. 2 Wisconsin in Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge Opener
Bears face No. 7 Minnesota Saturday night

For more information contact: Madelon Allen; 254-252-7168, madelon_allen at baylor.edu<mailto:madelon_allen at baylor.edu>

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – The 15th-ranked Baylor volleyball squad fell 3-1 to No. 2 Wisconsin on Friday night to open the Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge.

BU (0-1) couldn’t overcome the Badgers (1-0) but put up a fight, ultimately falling 20-25, 25-14, 25-20, 17-25 in Maturi Pavilion.

The Bears were led by freshman Kyndal Stowers in kills (14), aces (3) and points (18) while fellow newcomer Victoria Davis led the team with three blocks, including one solo. Veteran Averi Carlson dished out 33 assists while Lauren Briseño had 12 digs.

THE RUNDOWN

Set 1

The Bears came out hot, earning the first point on a Wisconsin attack error. Allie Sczech followed it up with a kill, then Kyndal Stowers earned the first of her career to make it 3-2. BU extended the lead to 5-2 with a Manuela Bibinbe kill, the first for her in the Green & Gold. Wisconsin caught up and tied it at 8-8 and stayed trading points until Badger Sarah Franklin served up an ace to go up 16-14. UW would stay in the lead from there on out, despite kills from Elise McGhee, Sczech, Stowers and an ace from Sczech. The Badgers took the first set, 25-20.

Set 2

Wisconsin started the set on a 3-0 run but was stopped by a service error and then an ace from veteran McGhee. Alicia Andrew put her name on the board with a kill, followed by kills from Sczech and Stowers to be down by one at 6-5. Bibinbe got her hand on the ball and threw it down for a kill, but the set was already in UW’s control. McGhee and Stowerkis raked in some kills, then Stowers got an ace, but the Badgers were up 21-12. McGhee and Stowers each recorded one more kill but the set was finished on an ace from UW’s Izzy Ashburn.

Set 3

Two sets belonging to Wisconsin, BU came out with more vigor. An error started the set but Sczech redeemed it with a quick kill off Carlson. Errors from both sides had it tied at 3-3, but a solo block from Davis put the Bears up and Stowers served up an ace to follow, her second of the night. A three-point run from BU ended with a Sarah Franklin kill, but McGhee replied with back-to-back kills. Briseño kept the momentum rolling with an ace. McGhee on a roll, recorded a kill then an ace back-to-back to make the score 17-12 in Baylor’s favor and forcing a Wisconsin timeout. After a UW error and a block from Davis and Carlson, the Badgers called for another. Stowers made it 20-13, but Sczech put an exclamation point on the 23rd point with a monster kill. Sczech threw down for set point and Stowers won the set for the Bears with a kill that had UW off their game.

Set 4

Wisconsin took the first two points but BU capitalized off a service error before Stowers had a monster solo block. Keeping neck-and-neck, the Badgers tied it at five-all. Stowers continued to go off and had several kills but UW pulled ahead. Stowers had a kill to make it 14-11 and Wisconsin went on a five-point run, causing a BU timeout. Davis got a kill out of the break and Stowers served up her third ace of the night. Davis once again scored, as did McGhee, but the Red & White went up 21-15. Andrew got a kill, Stowers staved off set point, but a kill from UW ended the set and match.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   BU started two newcomers in the match: Stowers at OH and Bibinbe at MB
  *   Stowers led the team in kills (14), attempts (38), aces (3) and points (18)
  *   The Bears led in aces overall with seven and digs with 52

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Ryan McGuyre

“I love we came out and fought and battled, I thought it was a good start. We were point for point in the first half and a little bit passive in the middle. I knew this was a tough match going in and the experience showed up a little bit. I thought we prepared well for the season, but there’s stuff we need to get after and do. I’m excited to see how we can move forward and learn from it. Lots of great plays from everybody all around. We’ll just grow, be a little more sustainable and get after it, but it’s the tip of the iceberg for what we can do.”

UP NEXT

The Bears will face No. 7 Minnesota at 6 p.m. CT on Saturday, broadcast on the Big Ten Network. The Golden Gophers play TCU to close out Friday’s slate.

To stay up to date all year long on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com