Baylor Soccer Takes Down Oregon in Season Opener, 2-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Thu Aug 17 22:46:55 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 17, 2023

Baylor Soccer Takes Down Oregon in Season Opener, 2-0
Isgrig, Zinnecker net goals in the contest

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
EUGENE, Oregon – Baylor soccer shut out Oregon, 2-0, Thursday night at Papé Field to open regular season play.

The Bears battled with the Ducks in the first half, going into halftime scoreless, but out-shooting Oregon, 11-1.

Baylor came out hot in the second half, when Tyler Isgrig found the back of the net in the 66th minute off of a cross from Jenna Patterson. Isgrig led the team in shots with five, three of them on goal.

Just eight minutes later, freshman Skylar Zinnecker netted the first goal of her career off of the boot of freshman Callie Conrad. The two freshman each played 55 minutes.

The Ducks put up four shots in the second half, only one of them on goal, with starting goalkeeper Makinzie Short having to make just two saves through both halves.

The Bears finished the night with 22 shots, 10 on goal, with eight corners. Nine different Bears combined to get shots off, with Ashley Merrill, Zinnecker and Conrad each totaling four.

BU’s defense was on lock, only allowing five Oregon shots all night.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   The Bears start the 2023 campaign with a win for the first time since 2019
  *   Nine Bears combined for the team’s 22 shots
  *   Six players played the full 90 minutes
  *   BU’s 22 shots were the most in a game since the Sept. 16, 2021versus SFA (24)
  *   Tyler Isgrig was one shot shy of tying her career-high of six
  *   Skylar Zinnecker recorded her first career goal
  *   Ashley Merrill, Callie Conrad, and Zinnecker each had four shots
  *   Natalie Vatter played in her first career game, playing all 90 minutes
  *   Four freshman played in the match
QUOTABLE
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“We couldn’t have asked for a better start to the season, especially on the road. We played on the front foot from the beginning, putting them under pressure and keeping it on their end most of the game. We created numerous high-quality chances on goal and were unlucky not to have one or two more. This game is a great example of the brand of soccer we are playing now and how effective it can be. I’m excited to continue watching this team play!”

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears will take on Nebraska Sunday, Aug. 20, at 1 p.m. CT at Hibner Soccer Stadium.
- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>