Baylor Baseball Held in Check by Tarleton in 6-2 Loss

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Tue Apr 25 18:48:11 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 25, 2023

Baylor Baseball Held in Check by Tarleton in 6-2 Loss
Polk blasts third homer of the season as Bears fall in midweek contest

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (15-26) was held in check Tuesday afternoon by Tarleton (22-16) in a 6-2 defeat at Baylor Ballpark in Waco.

Freshman C Walker Polk hit his third home run of the year, one of just six BU hits on the day, and drove in the Bears’ only two runs of the game. Three Baylor pitchers made scoreless appearances on the mound in the loss.

Tarleton starter Piercen McElyea struck out 10 in his five innings of work, keeping the BU bats quiet aside from the long ball he allowed.

THE RUNDOWN
The Texans plated runs in each of the first three innings to open up a 3-0 lead over Baylor. They added another in the fourth before Polk’s home run got the Bears on the board at 4-2.

In the top of the eighth, TSU scored two more runs to extend the lead to 6-2. BU got two baserunners on in the bottom half, but couldn’t cash in. Both sides worked around a single in the ninth to see out the contest.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Freshman C Walker Polk hit his third home run of the season, extending his on-base streak to 10 games.
• Polk also collected his second multi-RBI game of the year.
• Freshman INF Kolby Branch extended his on-base streak to 10 games and his hitting streak to six games.
• Redshirt freshman OF Gavin Brzozowski reached base for the sixth-straight game with his third double of the year.
• Sophomore C Cortlan Castle extended his on-base streak to six games and his hitting streak to five.
• Junior RHP Anderson Needham recorded his 11th scoreless outing of the season.
• Sophomore RHP Gabe Craig tallied his 10th scoreless outing of 2023.
• Junior RHP Adam Muirhead pitched his seventh scoreless appearance of the year.

STAT OF THE DAY
409 – The distance on Walker Polk’s two-run homer, his third of the season.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On today’s game…
“It’s disappointing for sure. You take two steps forward, one step back, and today was the day we didn’t show up. I think we had two guys on the mound who threw the ball well in Anderson Needham and Gabe Craig. We continue to ask a lot out of those bullpen guys who are throwing every weekend and throwing on Tuesday’s too, but they did well. Offensively, we just never put it together. We kind of slept-walked through the first four innings and all of a sudden we’re facing a lefty and a sidearmer, and when their better guys came out of the bullpen, it just wasn’t going to happen.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (15-26, 6-12) hosts Big 12-leading No. 17 West Virginia (29-11, 8-4) for a three-game series at Baylor Ballpark in Waco, beginning on Friday, April 28, at 6:30 p.m.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)