No. 16 Baylor Softball Falls in Saturday Doubleheader Against No. 1 Oklahoma

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 22 21:23:42 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 22, 2023

No. 16 Baylor Softball Falls in Saturday Doubleheader Against No. 1 Oklahoma
Bears battle but can’t convert runs in either matchup

For more information contact: Katy Gilmore; 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas - No. 16 Baylor Softball fell against the No. 1-ranked Oklahoma Sooners, 4-0 in game one and 2-0 in game two, of the Saturday doubleheader at Getterman Stadium

The Bears, now 34-13 on the season and 4-8 in conference play, pitched 11 shutout innings against the Sooners over the course of the two games.

THE RUNDOWN

The Bears battled to the end in game one, holding the Sooners scoreless for six innings, and loading the bases in the bottom of the seventh.

After the first two batters walked, Kaci West came into the game and sat the next three Sooners down in order in the first inning.

Baylor capitalized again in the top of the second after a leadoff single was erased by a double play and West picked up her first strikeout. The Sooners then popped-up into a double play in the third, effectively erasing the runners again.

Baylor got its first hit of the game in the bottom of the third when Zadie LaValley singled to right field. With two outs, McKenzie Wilson singled to put runners on the corners, but that would be all for the Bears in the third.

The Bears threatened again in the bottom of the fourth, after a leadoff walk to Shaylon Govan and a sacrifice bunt from Sydney Collazos moves pinch-runner Ashlyn Wachtendorf to second base. Ana Watson then singled, before Emily Hott reached on a fielder’s choice trying to bring Wachtendorf home, but she was ultimately called out after a review at the plate.

A triple and a three-run home run plated all four of the Sooners’ runs in the top of the sixth.

The Bears tried to rally in the bottom of the seventh, with Hott drawing a leadoff walk and Josie Bower getting hit by a pitch. Presleigh Pilon then reached on a fielder’s choice and Wilson walked to load the bases, but a groundout ended the game.

In the second game, Oklahoma took the early lead in the top of the first, after a solo shot put the Sooners up 1-0. They added a run in the next inning with another solo shot, but the Bears worked out of a jam and left them scoreless.

The Bears only allowed one OU base runner in the following two innings.

Baylor threatened in the fifth, after Hott drew a leadoff walk and Kaci West singled on a bunt that had Hott take third, but she was called out after a review.

Dariana Orme sat the Sooners down in order in the top of the sixth, striking out one and recording the putout on the third batter.

Down to its last shot in the bottom of the seventh, Hott drew a six-pitch walk, but a fly-out to center field stopped the Bears’ chance.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Josie Bower moved to second all-time in Baylor records books for hit by pitches with 26
  *   Four different Bears recorded a hit in game one
  *   Kaci West effectively tossed six innings in game one, striking out two
  *   Amber Toven and Kaci West each recorded a hit in game two
  *   Emily Hott drew two walks in game two
  *   The Bears only struck out once in game two
  *   Dariana Orme pitched a complete-game in game two, only allowing two runs, while pitching five shutout innings

QUOTABLE

Head Coach Glenn Moore

“I wasn’t happy with our game yesterday. And I thought we came out here a little too uptight, and I thought today we were relaxed and competed. Obviously, we didn’t put up runs, but we threatened and we fought. I think we had one strikeout with a strikeout pitcher. Really thought we did well there but back to your point, we did as well as we could against that offense, that powerful offense with our pitching, and really happy with Dari and happy with the way Kaci competed in game one today.”

Kaci West on the game …

“Trusting my defense, I mean I only had two strikeouts today, so that proves it was a defensive game. My defense behind me was making plays, they were working, they were competing. That’s so important. McKenzie’s amazing catch in centerfield, that gives us momentum going into offense. Shay’s good catch at first shifts momentum and gives us a lot of energy.”

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears will play Texas State on Wednesday, April 26, at 6:30 p.m. CT at Getterman Stadium, before heading to Ames, Iowa, to face the Iowa State Cyclones in a three-game series.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>