Baylor WT Set to Open Big 12 Championship against Kansas State Thursday

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Wed Apr 19 14:07:12 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 19, 2023

Baylor WT Set to Open Big 12 Championship against Kansas State Thursday
The Bears are the No. 7 seed in the conference tournament

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

LAWRENCE, Kan. – The Baylor women’s tennis team hits the road this week for the Big 12 Championships, hosted by Kansas, at the Jayhawk Tennis Center.

The Bears (15-12) drew the seven seed in the tournament and will take on No. 10-seeded Kansas State (2-19) in the first round of the tournament on Thursday at 10 a.m. The winner of the match will move on and face No. 2-seed Oklahoma, who is currently No. 14 in the ITA rankings.

“The team is playing well, and these last four or five matches, I’ve really liked the spirit of the team and where we’re headed,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “That’s always good to have some momentum going into the tournament and we’re excited to see what we can do.”

Alina Shcherbinina leads the Bears this season with a 15-6 showing in singles with a team-best 6-3 record during Big 12 play. Isabella Harvison ranks second on the team with a 14-8 singles record and finished 3-1 in Big 12 action. Both Harvison and Shcherbinina are listed in the ITA singles rankings, sitting at No. 84 and No. 103, respectively.

In doubles action, the tandem of Shcherbinina and Brooke Thompson leads the team with a 3-2 Big 12 record, including a win against Kansas State earlier this season.

In their last showing against the Wildcats, the doubles duos of Harvison and Anita Sahdiieva and Shcherbinina and Thompson earned the first point for the Bears. In singles play, Shcherbinina and Sahdiieva collected two more points for Baylor, while freshman Liubov Kostenko clinched Scrivano’s 500th career victory and the 4-2 win for the Bears.

Live stats<http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/central.php?gid=b12&utm_medium=sidearm-email&utm_source=big12sports.com&utm_campaign=2023+Big+12+Women’s+Tennis+Championship+Seedings+Announced&utm_content=446d0f07-4c3b-4f17-a87b-3cb8f01460f0> are available for all matches at the event.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)