Baylor Baseball Collects First Road Win, 7-6 Over Sam Houston

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Tue Apr 18 23:08:15 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 18, 2023

Baylor Baseball Collects First Road Win, 7-6 Over Sam Houston
Teplanszky and Branch combine for five hits and five RBIs as Bears win back-and-forth contest

HUNTSVILLE, Texas – In a back-and-forth contest that saw the lead change hands seven times, Baylor baseball (14-23) was able to pull out its first road win of the season Tuesday night over Sam Houston (22-16) with a 7-6 final at Don Sanders Stadium in Huntsville.

Sophomore INF Hunter Teplanszky and freshman INF Kolby Branch combined for five hits and five RBIs to lead the Bears offensively. Teplanszky delivered a game-tying RBI double in the top of the eighth, then scored on Branch’s go-ahead single that proved to be decisive.

Junior RHP Cole Stasio shut things down on the mound, going the final 2.1 innings without allowing a baserunner to pick up his fourth win of the season.

THE RUNDOWN
Teplanszky wasted no time in getting things started for BU, blasting a solo home run on the second pitch he saw with just one out in the top of the first.

The Bearkats would tie the ballgame in the bottom of the second on a double steal play, then took the lead in the third off a sacrifice fly.

Baylor put up two runs in the top of the fifth to go back in front, 3-2, thanks to back-to-back RBI singles by Teplanszky and Branch, but an RBI triple and run-scoring groundout gave the lead right back to SHSU in the bottom half of the inning.

In the sixth, a Bearkat throwing error allowed the tying run to cross the plate for BU, then junior INF/OF Cole Posey singled in a run for the lead at 5-4. Once again, Sam Houston responded with a tying run in the bottom half as the scoreline was deadlocked heading into the final three frames.

An RBI single put the ‘Kats ahead in the bottom of the seventh, but their lead wouldn’t last for long as Teplanszky came up clutch with a game-tying RBI double with two outs in the top of the eighth. He subsequently scored on Branch’s first-pitch single that amounted to be the game-winner, as Stasio returned to put up consecutive 1-2-3 innings and seal the Bears’ first road win of the year.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor swept the season series against Sam Houston with its 70th win all-time against the Bearkats.
• BU improved to 6-3 in midweek games this season.
• Baylor improved to 13-5 this season when scoring six or more runs.
• This is the 15th game this season that BU has played to be decided by two runs or less, and the ninth one-run ballgame. BU is now 5-4 in one-run games this year.
• In now nine of Baylor’s 14 wins this year, the game has been tied in the seventh inning or later.
• The Bears collected at least nine hits and nine strikeouts in the same game for the 10th time in 2023.
• Sophomore INF Hunter Teplanszky extended his on-base streak to 25 games and his hitting streak to 13 games with his seventh multi-RBI game of the year.
• Freshman INF Kolby Branch collected his team-leading 15th multi-hit performance and seventh multi-RBI game of the season.
• Freshman C Walker Polk reached base for the eighth-consecutive game.
• Branch and junior INF/OF Cole Posey extended their on-base streaks to six and five games, respectively.
• Freshman OF Caleb Bergman extended his hitting streak to five games.
• Junior RHP Cole Stasio worked his team-leading 11th scoreless outing of the year, and his fourth-consecutive.
• Stasio picked up his team-leading fourth win of the 2023 campaign.
• Junior RHP Anderson Needham made his 10th scoreless appearance of the season.

STAT OF THE GAME
5 – Hunter Teplanszky and Kolby Branch combined for five hits and five RBIs to lead Baylor to its first road win of 2023.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Mitch Thompson
On the first road win…
“A lot more fun to win than to lose. The guys had to really compete hard. I felt like we had a bunch of guys go out and throw the ball well on the mound. Our hitters came up big. They continued to fight through and we got the big runs and big two-out hits to take the lead. The guys who have been doing it for us all year were the ones who ended up coming through for us in clutch time, and that was big. Definitely a team effort, we played pretty good defense, and we’ll take this 7-6 win. It’ll be a happy bus ride.”

Sophomore INF Hunter Teplanszky
On his hot stretch at the plate…
“To be honest, it felt like I was seeing a beach ball. I was locked in, seeing the ball well and happy I could put together some good AB’s for the team. You always want to do something productive for the team and to be able to do it pretty much every AB on the night, there’s really no better feeling than to help your team pull out a win, especially on the road.”

Freshman INF Kolby Branch
On his consistency so far this season…
“I don’t know, it’s just been fun. Something I’ve wanted to do my whole life and finally getting to do it has just been fun. That’s what it’s all about, having fun.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (14-23, 5-10) heads to Lubbock to face No. 13 Texas Tech (26-12, 6-6) in a three-game series, beginning Friday, April 21, at 6:30 p.m. at Rip Griffin Park.

To stay up to date on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)