No. 1 Texas Takes Senior Day Win over Baylor MT, 4-0

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 8 21:18:05 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 8, 2023

No. 1 Texas Takes Senior Day Win over Baylor MT, 4-0
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis lost its senior day match to No. 1 Texas on a beautiful Saturday evening at the Hurd Tennis Center, 4-0.

Baylor (16-13 (1-2 Big 12)) had battles coming down to the wire on Courts One and Six for singles, but the Longhorns clinched the match with the doubles point and singles wins on three, four and two.

THE RUNDOWN

Texas won the doubles point, but not before a total fight from the Bears. Court Three saw the dual between Christopher Frantzen and Justin Braverman fall to Chih Chi Huang and Evin McDonald from Texas, 6-3.

No. 20 Finn Bass and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi stayed on-serve with the third-ranked Eliot Spizzirri and Cleeve Harper until the Longhorns broke for a 6-5 lead and won the next game for a 7-5 decision to close the single-set match.

In singles, Texas won three-straight to clinch on Courts Three, Four and Two, but the Bears didn’t go down without a fight.

No. 84 Micah Braswell defeated 53rd Bass at No. 3, 6-2, 6-2, after Bass fought off match points at 6-0 and 6-1. Thirty-third ranked Siem Woldeab faced the battle from Grassi Mazzuchi and won the Longhorns their third point, 6-2, 6-4.

Marko Miladinović dropped his first singles set, 6-0, but came back fighting in set two. No. 27 Pierre-Yves Bailly had an answer, clinching the match with a 6-4 second set.

Before the clinch point ended the match, Zsombor Velcz was giving the No. 1 singles player in the nation, Spizzirri, a run for his money on Court One. The freshman took the first set, 6-4, before the Longhorn forced a third. Luc Koenig was a game away from a match win at the No. 6 spot, while Ethan Muza was fighting in the second set after dropping the first at No. 5.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On Saturday’s loss to Texas…

“Today was really for our seniors more than anything. We’re playing a schedule with already three No. 1 teams and that’s a lot. We did a great job at battling back and giving ourselves chances at most positions. It was special to do it all again with Finn [Bass] and Juampi [Grassi Mazzuchi] on the home court. They’ve made such a positive impact on our program and brought so many championships here. I am incredibly proud of them and glad we still have several matches and the postseason still to go with them. We’re going to be a dangerous team once we have Teddy [Paroulek] and Finn both back healthy and I am really looking forward to that.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor travels to Oklahoma to take on OU on Friday, April 4, and OSU Sunday, April 16, to close out the regular season.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)