Baylor MT Sweeps Doubleheader against Alcorn State

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 7 21:21:51 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 7, 2023

Baylor MT Sweeps Doubleheader against Alcorn State
Bears take all 12 points from the Braves
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis swept the Alcorn State Braves twice on the rainy Friday, 6-0, at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.

Baylor (16-12 (2-0 Big 12)) only allowed one singles set win on the day and swept all 12 available points. Due to an injury on Alcorn’s six-man roster, only two doubles and five singles courts were played in each match.

THE RUNDOWN

MATCH ONE

All it took for the Bears to clinch the doubles point was a pair of 6-2 wins on Courts One and Two. No. 20 Finn Bass and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi took the victory over Isaac Santitto and Nikola Kijac, while Justin Braverman and Christopher Frantzen won on two over Luka Andonov and Arne Sohmer.

In singles play, Braverman took an impressive 6-0, 6-0 win on Court Four over Santitto. Shortly after, No. 53 Bass made his return to singles play with a 6-0, 6-2 win at one.

Frantzen won BU’s fourth point and clinched the match behind a strong second-set showing, 7-6(2), 6-1.

Continuing out the rest of the singles courts, Ethan Muza recorded a pair of 6-4 sets to win his singles match, while Luc Koenig won in a third-set breaker, 6-2, 5-7, 1-0(7).

MATCH TWO

Zsombor Velcz and Koenig stayed on-serve with Santitto and Kijac at No. 2 doubles until a last-minute break to take the match, 6-4. No. 20 Bass and Grassi Mazzuchi were done seconds later, winning 6-2 to give the Bears the doubles point.

The first singles point came from a retirement on Court Three, where Koenig won the first set 6-2 before Andonov bowed out. Grassi Mazzuchi, in his Saturday singles debut, collected a dominant 6-0, 6-0 win to put the Bears’ tally at three.

Velcz took a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Kijac on Court Two to clinch the second BU win of the day.

Playing out the remaining matches, Frantzen powered to a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 4 over Santitto, while Braverman defeated Sohmer, 6-3, 6-2.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On Saturday’s wins…

“It’s tough to come out between two really tough matches, so credit the guys for that. We struggled a bit in the first match, but the guys got focused and became more efficient and locked in for the second match. Alcorn State fought all the way to the end on every court and that was exactly what we needed as a team. We built confidence and got a couple things for each guy to work on to be ready for tomorrow.”

On tomorrow’s match vs. No. 1 Texas

“It’ll be nothing new facing the No. 1 team in the nation. But, it’s a great rivalry that goes back many years. It’s exciting that we are finally getting the chance to play them this year, and I know the guys are excited for it. It is also going to be great to honor Finn [Bass] and Juampi [Grassi Mazzuchi], who have accomplished so much here and just a college tennis players. They’re two of the best to ever do it, and I’m excited to have them compete on their home courts one last time.”

WHAT’S NEXT

Baylor opens the Hurd Tennis Center for the last time in the regular season against No. 1 Texas on Saturday night at 6. Bass and Grassi Mazzuchi will be honored as seniors at the conclusion of the match.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)