No. 2 TCU Takes 4-0 Decision over Baylor MT

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Thu Apr 6 20:55:42 CDT 2023

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 6, 2023

No. 2 TCU Takes 4-0 Decision over Baylor MT
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle; 940-564-0351, colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu<mailto:colin_pirtle1 at baylor.edu>

FORT WORTH, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis lost its first road conference match on Thursday night to No. 2 TCU at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center, 4-0.

BU (14-12, 1-1 Big 12) took No. 2 singles in Luc Koenig and Zsombor Velcz, but TCU (19-1, 3-0 Big 12) came out firing in singles to clinch the match on Courts Six, Three and Four.

THE RUNDOWN

TCU took the doubles point, but not after a nail-biting finish on the three courts.

The national No. 4 team of Jake Fearnley and Luc Fomba topped No. 20 Finn Bass and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi, 6-3, at No. 1 doubles before Koenig and Velcz defeated Sebastian Gorzny and Pedro Vives 6-3 at two.

The Bears fought off match point multiple times at Court Three, but the No. 11 Sander Jong and Lui Maxted ended up taking the 6-4 match over Christopher Frantzen and Justin Braverman.

In singles play, Court Six was first to fall for TCU, as Vives won the match over Franzten, 6-2, 6-0. Court Three was next, as No. 24 Fomba beat Grassi Mazzuchi, 6-3, 6-1.

Jong, the 42nd-ranked national player, clinched the match for TCU with a 6-3, 6-0 result over Ethan Muza at the fourth spot.

In the unfinished matches, Koenig put up a fight on five over No. 63 but lost the first set 7-5. Marko Miladinović and Koenig were up 3-2 in the second after dropping the first and No. 12 Fearnley was at match point on Court One.

QUOTABLE

Head coach Michael Woodson

On Thursday’s match…

“Credit TCU, they played a great match. We had some great opportunities in doubles with Luc [Koenig] and Zsombor [Velcz], who beat a very strong team. We started competing really well in singles, but TCU was able to pull away. There were some really good takeaways for our team, and I am looking forward to being right back out there with them tomorrow for two matches back home. We’ll use it and get better.

WHAT’S NEXT

The Bears return to Waco for a Friday doubleheader against Alcorn State at 3 and 7 p.m.

- BaylorBears.com -

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)