Baylor Soccer Falls to No. 19 SMU, 1-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Sep 18 22:22:37 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 18, 2022

Baylor Soccer Falls to No. 19 SMU, 1-0
Bears limit Mustangs to one shot on goal in second half
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
DALLAS, Texas – Baylor soccer fell against No. 19 SMU, 1-0, Sunday night at Washburne Soccer and Track Stadium.

The Bears battled the Mustangs, holding them to just one goal that came in the 24th minute.

Goalkeepers Lauren Traywick and Madison Martin split time in the goal, with Traywick handling the first half and Martin the second. Recording three saves in the first half, Traywick made key saves to stop the Mustangs from extending their lead. Martin made a stop in the second half, but that would be all that was needed from her, as SMU had just one shot on goal in the second half.

Coming out strong after the half, the Bears got off four shots, starting with a shot from Gabby Mueller in the 47th minute. Mueller’s second shot of the night was on target in the 72nd minute followed by the Bears second shot on goal from Kylie Finney in the 77th minute.

Ashley Merrill led the team in shots tonight with three, two in the first half and one in the second, but none of them were able to find the net.

Baylor will return home to host Oklahoma Friday, September 23 at 7 p.m. in their Big 12 home opener.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor recorded the only corner kick of the game
  *   BU limited the Mustangs to just one shot on goal in the second half
  *   Ashley Merrill led the team with three shots
  *   Gabby Mueller and Kylie Finney each recorded a shot on goal
  *   Lauren Traywick and Madison Martin split time in goal

TOP QUOTES
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“Proud of the girls for competing till the end. Right up to the last second, I thought we might be able to find a way to score a goal. And that's what our continued struggle is, creating some half chances, a look here or there but we're not executing well, and we're certainly not creating enough opportunities. So, it continues to be frustrating. We've got to be more productive offensively. Until that happens, the best we get hoped for ties. I thought we did a good job of limiting their good looks on goal over the course of the game.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>