Team Gold Tops Team Green in Baylor Equestrian’s Scrimmage

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 16 15:37:03 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Sept. 16, 2022

Team Gold Tops Team Green in Baylor Equestrian’s Scrimmage
Rylee Butler, Lauren Reid, Bella Rosa and Annie Vorhies named Most Outstanding Performers

WACO, Texas – Baylor equestrian hosted its annual Green & Gold Scrimmage on Friday at the Willis Family Equestrian Center, with Team Gold defeating Team Green, 11-10.

“It was really good. I think we had the opportunity to show a ton of people. Some of the veterans needed to get in there and get a feel-good ride in before the season starts and some of the freshmen needed to get in there and feel the different kind of pressure that it is to be in a team setting,” said head coach Casie Maxwell.

Rylee Butler (Reining), Lauren Reid (Flat), Bella Rosa (Horsemanship) and Annie Vorhies (Fences) were each named Most Outstanding Performers in their respective events.

“It was an incredible feeling,” said Vorhies. “Teddy was really great today and I felt really comfortable. The crowd was amazing, the freshmen were really fun to have around cheering me on and it was really great to see everyone compete today. It makes me really excited for the rest of the year.”

Newcomers Lucia Ament, Butler, Mia Chimenti, Emma Covarrubias, Mallory Fricke, Maddie Jordan, Lauren Jorgensen, Kendall Lawson, Meredith Miller, Reid, Sofia Renneke, Kalena Reynolds, Caroline Robelen, Blaise Runyon, Kaitlyn Smith, Anna Thron and Catelyn Walker all saw their first action as Bears.

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor officially opens the regular season on Thursday, Sept. 29, at South Carolina before traveling to face Georgia the following day. BU will begin its home slate on Friday, Oct. 21, against TCU. Fans are encouraged to wear gold as part of Baylor’s “Go Gold” campaign at the Bears’ first home conference meet.

“I think we know from this what we need to focus on with each of them individually and as a team,” Maxwell said. “With it being so early in the season, everyone is still getting a feel for everything, especially the freshmen. We know that we’re not completely where we need to be, but we know where we need to sharpen up before we hit the road.”

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)