No. 14 Baylor VB Takes Match over K-State in Four

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Oct 22 16:31:09 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 22, 2022

No. 14 Baylor VB Takes Match over K-State in Four
Bears win in Manhattan for ninth-straight win over Wildcats
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu

MANHATTAN, Kan. – No. 14-ranked Baylor volleyball took a 3-1 win over Kansas State on Saturday afternoon in Bramlage Coliseum.
The Bears (17-4, 6-2 Big 12 Conference) have now won nine-straight matches against K-State (12-9, 3-5).

Averi Carlson and Lauren Harrison each had a double-double, Carlson’s third-straight and Harrison’s third of the season.

THE RUNDOWN
Set 1
Starting off behind, the Bears roared back, with the first point coming from birthday girl Lauren Harrison on a kill. Mallory Talbert tied the teams up at 4-all, then a block with Elise McGhee tied it again at 5-5. The McGhee sisters got kills one after another to put the Bears up for the first time at 7-5. The Wildcats continued forward, and Ryan McGuyre called for two timeouts, down 16-10. Out of it, Talbert got a kill and then a solo block to fire them up. Catching up, Riley Simpson served up an ace to close the gap to just two, 17-15. Baylor was the first to 20 points with kills from Elise McGhee and Kara McGhee propelling them, KSU calling time. Pulling ahead, Kara and Allie Sczech got a block, followed by one from the McGhees, making it 22-20. The Bears went all the way to set point, 24-22, but three-straight points from the Wildcats thwarted the finale. Tying it up at 24-24 on an ace, the teams went back and forth until Kara and Carlson got a block at 28-27. KSU got three-straight kills to finish the set in their favor, 30-28.

Set 2
BU got the first point of the second frame off a K-State attack error, but the Wildcats got the first kill from Sydney Bolding. Elise McGhee got a kill just after, followed by another from Bolding. Harrison and Sczech added their names to the board again to make it 4-3, and after a successful pancake from Sophia Keene, Talbert got a kill to make it 5-4. Elise got a kill, then Talbert served up her first ace of the match, now tied 7-7 in the set. Kara McGhee tied it up again at 8-8. KSU tried to pull away, going up 11-9, but McGhee brought it back toward equilibrium with a kill. Two more K-State points came, but Harrison got a kill, then a Sophia Keene ace, then kills from Carlson and Talbert, the score now 14-13 in BU’s favor. An attack error from the Wildcats led the teams into the media timeout. Three-straight points came from the team in purple before they had an attack error to tie it up at 16-16. KSU went up 20-17, Baylor calling time. The Bears got two points from an Elise McGhee kill and then a Wildcat attack error, but then two points from KSU had McGuyre call time again at 22-19. McGhee got a kill out of the pause, and then one from Kara McGhee just after. Kara went up for the block with Sczech, and K-State called time. Out of that was a BU attack error, but Sczech and Harrison each came up with kills to be set point, 24-23. Another Bear attack error tied it back up, and KSU called a challenge on the next play, but Talbert got the kill.

Set 3
Elise McGhee started off the third frame with a kill for the Bears, followed by a second to make it 2-1. Sczech chimed in to make it 4-1, then she and Harrison took turns scoring until it was Talbert’s turn, making the score 8-4. Talbert served up an ace at 10-5 for the Wildcats to call time, then served up another right after. Kara McGhee got an emphatic kill at 15-9, and went up for the block with Harrison to go up six at 17-11. McGhee would get her next kill at 18-13. KSU went on a four-point run, stopped by Talbert at 19-17, but only for the Wildcats to tie it up then go up by one with three-straight points, 20-19. The Bears went on a run of three to push back ahead thanks to Harrison and Elise McGhee, K-State calling timeout at 22-20. Simpson served up an ace out of the timeout, then McGhee had a kill for set point, 24-20. KSU scored three in a row to take away that opportunity, now 24-23, but a Wildcat service error gave BU the set.

Set 4
Averi Carlson started the fourth by serving up an ace, then Kara McGhee followed it with a kill. The two teams would trade points, going back and forth. In the thick of it, Talbert served up her fourth ace of the match at 8-7. Kara McGhee joined the double-digit scoring party with a kill at 9-9. Somewhere along the way, Harrison had her 10th dig of the match to have her third double-double of the season. She had her 14th kill to get BU’s 13th point of the set, down by one at 14-13. Talbert tied the teams at 14-all, then Elise McGhee got the kill to take them into the media timeout, 15-14. Out of the timeout, KSU went on a three-point run, and Kara McGhee got a kill at 17-18 to bring BU back within one. Tying it up was Elise McGhee, and a failed block from the Wildcats off a Sczech attack had the Bears back in the lead when K-State called time. Out of it, Carlson served up an ace, her second of the day. A block from Kara McGhee and Sczech had KSU calling another timeout at 22-19. With the Wildcats threatening at 23-22, McGuyre called time. Talbert got a kill, then KSU did, and McGuyre called time again, now 24-23 Bears. It was a Carlson dump to end the match at 25-23.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Averi Carlson had her third double-double in a row against the Wildcats.
  *   Lauren Harrison had her third double-double of the season on her birthday.
  *   Four Bears had double-digit kills in the match, three had double-digit digs.
  *   Mallory Talbert had a season-high in aces with four, while both Carlson and Simpson had two.

QUOTABLE
Head Coach Ryan McGuyre
“It was a slugfest, all the sets went deuce. I thought K-State had a great game plan, great serving. The first set they served tougher than we did and we missed too many serves. Honestly if you talk to both coaches we’d probably both feel there were stretches either team could’ve pulled away. Sometimes both teams battled and it went either way, I think sometimes maybe we let up and them back in it and we were fortunate on a missed serve on game point for them, and we caught a break. I think at the end of the day you want to be emotionally exhausted because you’re giving everything you’ve got. This was an ugly win for us. I’m not sure we were ever in rhythm. It was good to have Kara McGhee, our middle, get going. Mallory [Talbert] was really our most steady one, she waited until the end to have her missed hit to let them back into it, but we have a young team. Fortunate that we can sustain some things and do some things this match.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears continue on the road and face Oklahoma in Norman on Wednesday.

To stay up to date with all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter: @BaylorVBall.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com