No. 15 Baylor VB Falls in Four to No. 1 Texas

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Nov 19 23:30:47 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 19, 2022

No. 15 Baylor VB Falls in Four to No. 1 Texas
Bears fought to the finish in Gregory Gym
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu

AUSTIN, Texas – The No. 15-ranked Baylor volleyball team fell in four on Saturday night in Gregory Gym to No. 1 Texas, 3-1.

The Bears (22-6, 11-4 Big 12 Conference) kept pace with the Longhorns (21-1, 14-1 Big 12) but couldn’t close, Texas winning 25-19, 19-25, 25-23, 25-23. With the win, UT clinched the Big 12 title.

BU put a stop to a 12-set winning streak for the Longhorns by winning set two, handing them their first home set loss since September 25.

HOW IT HAPPENED
Set 1
The Bears started the set on a 3-0 run thanks to a Kara McGhee kill, then a block by Kara and Elise McGhee, followed by a ball handling error on the Longhorns. Texas answered with five-straight points before they had a faulty serve. Then UT had two more points before another attack error. Texas up 11-8, Mallory Talbert served up back-to-back aces to come within one. Alexis Dacosta served up an ace at 14-13, and Kara McGhee had the first kill since the first point of the set at 15-14 out of the media timeout. Lauren Harrison got a kill at 16-15, then tied the teams up at 17-all, but Texas had a kill and an ace prompting McGuyre to call time at 19-17. Out of it, Texas’ Logan Eggleston had a kill, but Elise McGhee followed it up with one of her own and then teamed up with Kara McGhee for a block on an Eggleston attack. UT scored two more off kills and McGuyre called for a pause again at 22-19. The set ended 25-19 after an attack error, ace and Texas block.

Set 2
The second frame started with a Harrison kill, a UT attack error and then a Sczech kill for another 3-0 run to begin a set. Two points went to Texas before Harrison stopped it with a kill, then Sophia Keene served up an ace. Talbert joined the kill column with back-to-back bombs, the score now 7-4. Elise McGhee made it 9-7, then 10-8. Sczech got her next kill at 12-11 after a block on her previous attempt tied it up at 11-all. Media timeout came at 15-13, the Bears still leading thanks to Harrison and Talbert kills. Elise McGhee had two kills sandwiched by kills from Asjia O’Neal, but it was Kara McGhee to get the 18th point which had Texas call time, 18-15. Elise McGhee got the Bears’ 20th point and Sczech made it two in a row for the score to be 22-17. Texas called time after an attack error and out of it, there was a BU attack error before Harrison took it to set point, 24-18. Texas staved it off just once before Talbert came away with the set for the Bears at 25-19. The set win snapped a 12-set winning streak for Texas.

Set 3
Coming off a set win, Sczech and Kara McGhee got a block on Madisen Skinner to start the next frame. Dacosta served up an ace to follow it, then Sczech made it 3-1 with a kill. Lauren Briseño then served up her first ace of the match at 4-1. Sczech continued her tear with a 5-2 kill but Skinner followed it. Harrison responded, now 6-3. Two points went to UT before Elise McGhee got her next point. Texas lessened the gap but Sczech pushed BU forward by another hair, still leading 9-8. The Longhorns took the lead after being tied at 10, but Sczech and Harrison kept chipping at it, when Elise McGhee tied it at 13-13 then gave BU back the lead with her next kill. It looked like it would be a 4-0 run but a successful UT challenge tied it up at 14. Out of the media timeout Texas got another kill but Elise responded with one of her own to take the lead by one, 16-15. The Longhorns tied it up again, 17-all, then went up by two where McGuyre called time. Kara McGhee got the kill out of it, then caused a UT attack error, followed by another Briseño ace, Texas then calling for a pause with Baylor up 20-19. Harrison and Talbert went up for the block, BU leading by two. Talbert got the next point before Texas threw out a kill and block, to which Baylor responded with another Talbert/Harrison stoppage. Down to the wire, UT tied it up again at 23-all and Eggleston got a kill, Baylor calling time with UT up 24-23. A BU attack error ended the set, 25-23, putting Texas ahead two sets to one.

Set 4
Having brought Texas to the brink in the last set, Baylor went into the fourth frame looking focused. Sczech got the Bears’ first point after an attack error, but Texas went up 3-2 before Talbert tied. Moving ahead, a Texas attack error put the Bears back on top at 6-5 before a McGhee sister block made it two. Elise McGhee got a kill, then Sczech, but next thing you knew the teams were tied at 10-all. Harrison swayed the scoreboard back to BU, but Eggleston answered with two points. Elise McGhee tied it again at 12-all, but Texas took it up to 15-12. Media timeout came and Elise got two kills followed by an Averi Carlson ace, where Kara McGhee made it a 4-0 run. Eggleston snuck by a kill to tie it again at 16, but Elise answered and then Harrison had two kills, Texas calling time at 19-16. Kara and Sczech had a big block out of it, but UT had three points to prompt a Baylor pause at 20-19. Kara McGhee again got the kill, but three Longhorn points again had the Bears taking a timeout, the score now 22-21 UT. Carlson had a kill to tie it up, but Skinner got the next kill and Texas got a block, now 24-22. The Bears held off set point but Eggleston got the kill to end the set at 25-23.

STAT OF THE MATCH

  *   Baylor winning set two snapped a 12-set winning streak for Texas. It was the first set the Longhorns lost at home since Houston took set one on Sept. 25 in Austin.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   BU was led by sophomore Elise McGhee with 15 kills, followed by 11 from Harrison and 10 from Allie Sczech.
  *   Briseño led the team in digs with 14 while Dacosta had 10.
  *   Kara McGhee had a six-block match.

QUOTABLE
Head coach Ryan McGuyre
“Proud of the fight, effort and consistency of how we were engaged in the match tonight. I thought we served well at times, our blocking was having an impact on the match, and it came down to a few conversions maybe other than the first set. Early on we were playing well but in all the sets we didn’t finish it off. Texas is a very good team, and championship-level teams earn points down the stretch. We were trying to earn them and it didn’t go our way in a few situations. Saw great play from Elise being terminal while Dacosta, Briseño and our floor defense is getting much better. There’s a lot of things we can learn from this match to help us win and we’ll stay on it.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears return home next Saturday for the final regular-season and home match of the year, facing Kansas State for Senior Day at 1 p.m.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com