No. 10 Baylor VB Falls in Fort Worth

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Nov 12 19:57:48 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 12, 2022

No. 10 Baylor VB Falls in Fort Worth
Bears upset by TCU in four sets
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu

FORT WORTH, Texas – The No. 10-ranked Baylor volleyball team fell on Saturday afternoon to TCU, 3-1, in Schollmaier Arena.

The Bears (21-5, 10-3 Big 12 Conference) were overtaken by the Horned Frogs (13-10, 8-5 Big 12) in four sets, 25-23, 25-27, 25-20, 25-10.

BU leads the all-time series over the Frogs, 22-8, with a 9-6 record in Fort Worth.

THE RUNDOWN
Set 1
The Bears came out hot with Allie Sczech leading the charge, getting BU’s first two points of the set, then scoring again at 4-3. Lauren Harrison followed her up with a kill at 4-4 to tie it. Elise McGhee put the Bears ahead with a kill at 7-6. A string of attack errors put TCU in the lead with Kara McGhee keeping them close at 11-9 with a kill, then again at 12-10. Harrison kept the Bears within two at 13-11. After a challenge, the score was reversed to be 13-12 with Mallory Talbert and Averi Carlson getting a block. Harrison got another kill at 14-13 but a BU service error sent both teams into a media timeout with TCU up two. Elise McGhee had kills at 15-14 and 16-15, the Bears getting a block from Kara McGhee and Allie Sczech to tie it up at 16-all. Elise kept on her tear and tied it up at 17-17, with Sczech getting a kill at 19-18. The Bears pulled back ahead after three-straight attack errors from the Frogs, including a service error, and TCU called time at 21-20. Harrison put them back ahead at 22-21, but then a service error and a TCU kill put the Frogs up by one, 23-22. Elise tied it up again at 23-all, but a TCU kill and a BU attack error ended the set, 25-23.

Set 2
TCU got the first thanks to a block, but a service error gave BU their first point. The Frogs then went up 3-2 when Harrison got a kill. Then it became 4-3 with Mallory Talbert on the kill. Three-straight Audrey Nalls kills had BU call time at 7-3. Averi Carlson got a kill at 8-5, then a TCU service error followed by a Sczech and Kara MCGhee got a block made it 9-7. Harrison got a kill to make it 10-8 and Sczech sandwiched it with one of her own, a TCU Callie Williams kill in the middle. Three-straight attack errors including a Carlson/Talbert block, put the Bears up 12-11. Alexis Dacosta made it 13-11 with a kill and TCU called timeout. Harrison came out of it with a new energy and continued to move ahead in the game, getting a kill at 14-12. Baylor got kills from Sophia Keene and Kara McGhee to move to 17-13, but with a few TCU kills and attack errors, it was 20-17 when Elise McGhee got her next kill. Sczech and Carlson had kills to go up 22-19, and after Harrison was blocked at 22-21, she went up and got another kill. BU called time when tied at 23-23, and out of it, Elise McGhee got another kill. Tied again at 24-24 after a Nalls kill, TCU had a service error and Zoe Hall kill. Kara McGhee shot a ball down, then Harrison behind her. The Frogs challenged the final point, but was unsuccessful, ending the set in Baylor’s favor, 27-25.

Set 3
The third frame started with a TCU kill, but Kara McGhee got one of her own right after, followed by one from Sczech. TCU tied it at 2-2 with a kill, but Talbert responded. TCU’s Nalls and Hall went four points in a row before Harrison put a stop to it, the score 6-4, TCU. Talbert had a kill in-between two more TCU kills. Elise McGhee got revenge for a blocked ball on her sister, the score now 9-6. Two failed plays from the Frogs were made into a 4-0 run from the Frogs thanks to Sczech and Elise McGhee kills, causing TCU to call time with BU up 10-9. Nalls tied it back up at 10-10, and the teams had a service error each. Sczech and Talbert had a big block to make it 13-all, and followed with two attack errors. Talbert tied it again at 15-all, a battle ensuing and tying it up again at 16 when BU challenged and the call was reversed. Two plays didn’t go BU’s way, and McGuyre called time, TCU leading 19-16. Elise McGhee was the hot arm out of it, and Sczech helped with a kill, but then a failed Baylor challenge made the score 21-18. McGuyre called time again after Nalls got a kill. The damage was done in the set, despite a Harrison kill at 24-20. The set ended with a Nalls kill after a TCU call reversed the score, TCU winning the set 25-20.

Set 4
The Frogs got a kill to kick off the fourth, and went up 4-1 off a block and an ace. Kara McGhee got BU’s first kill of the set. BU called time after the Frogs went up 7-2 early. Out of the timeout, McGhee and Sczech got a big block. TCU kept rolling but at 9-4, Talbert recorded a kill, then two-straight from Harrison. TCU challenged a play and it fell their way, Callie Williams getting a kill at 11-6. After two more points from the Frogs including an ace, McGuyre called time again. Talbert got the kill on the first play out, but TCU continued on their roll. Three more points from the Frogs was followed by a service error to give BU a point, and Riley Simpson got a point at 19-9. However, TCU wasn’t done. They went on a five-point run, going up 24-9, when an error on Nalls gave Baylor another tick on their scoreboard. The set and match ended with a Nalls kill, the set finishing 25-10.

QUOTABLE
“Good battle early on by both teams, I definitely feel like TCU is playing their best volleyball here at the end. They’re playing like a tournament-type team. On the road we still need to be better out of the gate. Not the best version of Baylor volleyball. I still know what we can do when we get things dialed in and being the best versions of ourselves. It was a flat start, we never seemed to have the rhythm the whole night. We tried to fight for an ugly win, but we have to get back and make sure we’re also finishing strong in conference.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears return home to the Ferrell Center to face Iowa State on Wednesday, Nov. 16, for a 7 p.m. match.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com