Baylor WT Concludes Fall Slate at Big 12 Individual Championships

Hild, Shelby Shelby_Hild at baylor.edu
Sun Nov 6 17:19:48 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 6, 2022

Baylor WT Concludes Fall Slate at Big 12 Individual Championships
Four doubles wins highlight the fall season finale

For more information contact: Shelby Hild; 254-405-7591, Shelby_hild at baylor.edu<mailto:Shelby_hild at baylor.edu>

STILLWATER, Okla. – Four Baylor women’s tennis student-athletes traveled to the 2022 Big 12 Individual Championships this weekend, hosted by Oklahoma State.

Friday saw both doubles teams come out on top, as Anita Sahdiieva and Liubov Kostenko fought for a 7-6 (1) victory and Paula Barañano and Alina Shcherbinina bested their opponents, 6-4. In singles action on opening day, Barañano soared past Kansas State’s Rosanna Maffei, 6-2, 6-1.

On day two, the duo of Barañano and Shcherbinina battled to a 6-2 win over Oklahoma State’s Alana Wolfberg and Raquel Gonzalez, while Sahdiieva picked up her first singles win of the weekend with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 performance against OSU’s Wolfberg.

In the event finale on Sunday, Barañano and Shcherbinina secured Baylor’s fourth doubles win of the weekend with a 7-5 win over the Cowgirls’ Amber Hochstatter and Sofia Rojas. Shcherbinina wrapped up action for the Bears with a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Wolfberg.

“The group showed resiliency throughout the weekend,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “We will continue working on our mental game and keep getting better in our response to adversity. We were challenged in a lot of matches, but we were staying positive and optimistic through them. We’re going to continue to put in the work in order to be prepared for the spring.”

The Bears are set to announce their spring slate in the coming weeks, and it will be posted on BaylorBears.com<https://baylorbears.com/sports/womens-tennis/schedule> when available.

- BaylorBears<http://www.BaylorBears>.com -

--
Shelby Hild | Director of Communications (WBB, WTEN)