Baylor Softball Rallies but Falls Short Against No. 14 Texas, 10-6

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri May 6 22:50:35 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 6, 2022

Baylor Softball Rallies but Falls Short Against No. 14 Texas, 10-6
Bears combine for 13 hits, two home runs
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor softball rallied late in the series opener against No. 14 Texas Friday night at Getterman Stadium, but fell 10-6 to the Longhorns.

Behind an error and some timely Longhorn hits, Texas plated three runs in the first before the Bears shut them down over the next two innings.

Aliyah Binford, who was 3-for-3 at the plate, singled up the middle in the bottom of the second, after a 12-pitch at bat, for the Bears first hit of the night.

Texas plated five in the top of the fourth to go up 8-0 before the Bears started to claw back.

Starting an offensive spark in the bottom of the fourth was Taylor Strain, who led off the inning with her first career home run over the wall in right field. Emily Hott then singled and advanced to second on an error before a two-out double down the left field line from Binford brought her home.

The Bears plated another run in the bottom of the fifth after singles from Ana Watson and McKenzie Wilson put two on for Hott who doubled for her second hit of the game.

With the 9-3 advantage, Texas put up another run in top of the sixth, before a three-run bottom half of the inning brought the Bears within four runs.

After a leadoff single from Josie Bower in the sixth, Binford blasted her fourth home run of the year over the wall in left field, making it a 10-5 game. Sydney Collazos and Watson singled to put two runners on for Strain, who singled to third base and moved the runners over before an error scored pinch runner Grace Powell.

Reliever Maren Judisch, worked out of the top of the seventh to give the Bears their last chance of the night. Bower singled for the second time in the game before Binford walked but that would be all for Baylor in the game.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Aliyah Binford went 3-for-3 at the plate, a triple away from hitting for the cycle
  *   Binford hit her fourth home run this season, 14th of her career
  *   Taylor Strain hit her first career home run
  *   Baylor’s 13 hits tie for the second most this season
  *   Five Bears recorded a multi-hit game
  *   Five Bears had extra base hits
  *   Maren Judisch struck out two in her 4.0 innings of work
  *   The Bears two home runs mark the first time two home runs have been hit by the same team, in the same game at Getterman this season

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the fight after being down early…
“That was the most offense we’ve had in a while. I don’t know if it was nerves or what, the way we started so uptight, but you can’t dig that kind of a hole with that pitching staff. You’d think almost three runs was enough for them. Sometimes, as I told them out there, it just takes a spark and we had that in Taylor Strain once again and I think I mentioned that earlier with her out of our lineup for a while we really missed her badly, she was our spark and she sparked us again. Her homerun was fun to see. That is the offense we had earlier in the year when we couldn’t get our defense situated. So that was nice, we just dug too big of a hole. “

Taylor Strain on her home run…
“Honestly, I went up there and I was like I’m about to hit this ball as hard as I can. We needed a spark in that moment. Without my teammates being there for me, pumping me up, I couldn’t have done it. Being able to do that was awesome. I saw the inside pitch and I just cranked it. That’s what I did.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>