Baylor Baseball Handles Tarleton, 8-2

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Tue May 3 22:53:54 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 3, 2022

Baylor BSB Handles Tarleton, 8-2
Caley and Golomb combine for 10 K’s and just two hits allowed

WACO, Texas – Strong pitching from Cam Caley and Grant Golomb led Baylor baseball (23-22) to an 8-2 victory over Tarleton (13-31) Tuesday night at Baylor Ballpark.

Ahead of a 10-day break for final exams, BU found the win column thanks to a combined 11 strikeouts on the mound, four double plays turned and RBI hits from five different players.

Cortlan Castle got things started for the Bears offensively, beating out an infield single with the bases loaded for the game’s first run in the bottom of the first. Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo followed that up with a two-RBI single to give Baylor a 3-0 lead after the first frame.

In the second, RBI groundouts by Tre Richardson and Kyle Nevin extended the lead to 5-0 and things held steady until the top of the sixth. Caley faced the minimum through five frames before allowing his first hit in the top of the sixth, an RBI double that got the Texans on the board. He would turn the ball over to Golomb who pitched the next three innings and allowed just one hit of his own while striking out a career-high five batters.

Baylor answered Tarleton’s tally with a three-spot in the bottom of the sixth, courtesy of a Jack Pineda RBI single and a pair of errors that allowed the other two runs to score, making it an 8-1 lead for the Bears. Cole Stasio came on to finish it out in the ninth and allowed one unearned run in seeing out the victory.

NOTES
• Baylor improved to 52-18 in midweek matchups under seventh-year head coach Steve Rodriguez, including a 9-3 mark in such games this year.
• BU is now 7-0 at home midweek games in 2022.
• The Bears have now finished four of their six homestands with winning records.
• Baylor extended its streak to 24 games in a row with an extra-base hit.
• The Bears have tallied two or more XBH in 13 of their last 14 games.
• BU now leads the nation with 51 double plays turned in 2022 after turning another four in the ballgame.
• Baylor is now 15-3 when out-hitting its opponent.
• BU’s pitching staff combined for 11 strikeouts, it’s 12th double-digit performance of the season.
• Cam Caley tied his career high with five strikeouts, his most so far in 2022.
• Grant Golomb recorded a career-high five punchouts.
• Jack Pineda notched his 17th multi-hit outing of the season.
• Kyle Nevin tallied two hits for the 10th time this season, his 15th multi-hit effort of 2022.
• Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo collected his ninth multi-hit and fifth multi-RBI game of the year.

STAT OF THE GAME
51 – Baylor turned four double plays to move its total to 51 for the season, a mark which leads the nation.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On tonight’s win…
“The big thing is that our offense is continuing to feel good. Getting some runs up on the board early was a really nice thing. And then Cam Caley just did a phenomenal job coming out there, I did not expect him to go that far but he was being efficient with his pitch count and being able to make some double plays. Still the biggest thing is that when we come out hot like that and score five runs early, everyone takes a deep breath. They were throwing all kinds of pitchers, submarines and some different stuff coming at you, so we had to make some adjustments on the fly. That’s a little bit tougher from the offensive standpoint in the middle of the game, but I thought our guys did a good job. And when you have Cam [Caley] going the distance that he did, only giving up one hit and a run, and then Grant [Golomb] coming in and doing a really good job, you can’t help but be happy with that.”

Sophomore LHP Cam Caley
On his mindset on the mound…
“Today I was really just focusing on hitting my spots. After starting in the outfield all weekend, I was a bit tired, so I knew I wasn’t going to be able to throw max-effort throughout the entire game. I was just focusing on throwing where I was supposed to. After I got going, it was pretty easy and felt pretty good.”

Senior INF Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo
On the team’s pitching performance tonight…
“Whenever you can get a pitcher out there to throw strikes and let your defense play, it keeps everyone energized on the team and in the dugout. Starting with good pitching, that led on to hitting and helped us out. Cam [Caley]’s a great player, very talented. Some days you can count on him on the mound, some days you can count on him in the field. That’s a pretty special thing to have.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (23-22, 5-13) gets 10 days off before its next game at Kansas State (23-21, 4-11) on Friday, May 13 at 6 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)