No. 2/No. 11 Baylor T&F Opens Home Slate with Baylor Invitational

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Thu Mar 31 15:47:22 CDT 2022

No. 2/No. 11 Baylor T&F Opens Home Slate with Baylor Invitational
Bears compete in Waco for the first time in 2022 ranked in the top-12
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – Baylor track and field opens the Clyde Hart Track and Field Stadium to the public for the first time in 2022 with the Baylor Invitational on Friday and Saturday. Hammer throw will be the only event on Friday afternoon, beginning at 3 p.m., with field events starting at 10 a.m. on Saturday morning.

The Bears welcome Louisiana Tech, Northwestern State, UNT, Tarleton, Incarnate Word, Texas Southern, UT Arlington, Oklahoma State and Minnesota to Waco for the competition.

“Hopefully, we’ll get some good weather and a good crowd,” said head coach Michael Ford. “For me, just watching all our student-athletes competing at home is probably the thing I'm looking forward to the most.”

The Bears will be competing for the first time since the first round of the USTFCCCA outdoor rankings were released Monday afternoon. The men’s squad emerged as the No. 2 national team behind Johnny Brackins, Nathaniel Ezekiel and Chinecherem Prosper Nnamdi’s No. 1 national rankings in their respective events. Five other student-athletes landed in the top-10, with another five finding their spot in the top-25.

The women found the No. 11 spot on the poll with six Bears listed in the top-10 and four others in the top-25. Ackera Nugent ranked highest at No. 3 in the 100-meter hurdles for the green and gold.

“We want to get some more national marks, so we’ll be ready going into the Big 12 and national meets,” said Ford. “Our ladies are finally starting to do some of their open events, so I’d expect that ranking to go up more soon if we compete hard.”

Tickets can be purchased online<https://baylorbears.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=TR&linkID=baylor&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=> and at the event, although Friday’s hammer throw competition will not be ticketed. Live results will be managed through DeltaTiming<https://live.deltatiming.com/meets/14151/events> and all up-to-date information for the Baylor Invitational can be found at www.baylorbea.rs/22HomeInfo<http://www.baylorbea.rs/22HomeInfo>.

For the latest news on the Baylor track and field team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.

Colin Pirtle | Communications Intern (Interim-T&F/XC)