No. 26 Baylor WT Gets Road Dub at West Virginia, 5-2

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Sun Mar 20 16:16:31 CDT 2022

No. 26 Baylor WT Gets Road Dub at West Virginia, 5-2
Bears start Big 12 play 4-0
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
MORGANTOWN, W. Va. – No. 26 Baylor (13-4, 4-0) defeated West Virginia 5-2 Sunday morning at the Summit Tennis Academy. This marks the second-straight season, and 11th time in program history, that the Bears have opened Big 12 play 4-0.

After dropping the doubles point, Alicia Herrero Linana tied things up at one with her win on court two over Anastasia Bovolskaia, 6-2. 6-4.

No. 123 Alina Shcherbinina gave the Bears the lead with a 7-5, 7-5 win over Tatiana Lipatova on court four.

Isabella Harvison kept things rolling for the Bears with her win on court one over Kendall Kovick, 6-3, 7-5.

Mel Krywoj then clinched the victory for Baylor with her 7-3, 6(3)-7, 6-2 win on court three over Momoko Nagato.

The two teams played the match out, and Paula Barañano got the final point for the Bears, 4-6, 7-6(3), 1-0 (10-5) over Michaela Kucharova.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Alina Shcherbinina has won a team-best 15 matches.
  *   Paula Barañano also had double-digit wins on the season with 14.

TOP QUOTE
Joey Scrivano on the match…
"Our team was relentless today. It’s been a heck of a road trip with challenges every step of the way but kept working the process and focusing on the task. This team is becoming great at getting knocked down and bouncing back up again. That’s what the mentally disciplined athletes do. Now, we need to recover and get back at it next week. Another tough road trip ahead, and we are excited for the challenge.

UP NEXT
No. 26 Baylor stays on the road with matches at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State next weekend.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>