Baylor Softball Splits Saturday Doubleheader with McNeese State

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 19 18:57:56 CDT 2022

Baylor Softball Splits Saturday Doubleheader with McNeese State
Bears backed in game two by Binford’s one-hitter
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor softball split its Saturday doubleheader with McNeese State, falling, 5-4, in game one before bouncing back and shutting out the Cowgirls, 3-0, in game two at Getterman Stadium.

Game 1: McNeese State 5, Baylor 4
The Bears jumped out to an early lead in game one, plating all four runs of the game in the bottom of the first.

After the Cowgirls scored an early run to take the 1-0 lead, Taylor Strain roped a one-out double to right field before Kaci West singled to left field, putting two on for Aliyah Binford. A double from Binford and a single from designated player, Josie Bower, brought home Strain and West. Ana Watson then reached on an error, bringing home Binford from third. After a McNeese State pitching change, Zadie LaValley singled up the middle to bring home Bower for the fourth run of the inning.

Starting pitcher Kaci West held the Cowgirls scoreless for three-straight innings before they plated four runs in the fifth on a combination of errors and timely hits to go up 5-4.

After both teams went down in order in the sixth, reliever Binford struck out the side to start the seventh. Baylor had runners on second and third in the bottom of the seventh threatening, but the Bears couldn’t plate any more runs as they lost the opener by one run.

Game 2: Baylor 3, McNeese State 0
The Bears, backed almost entirely by Binford in game two, picked up their sixth shutout of the season.

Binford, who pitched a complete game in the nightcap of the doubleheader, picked up where she left off last game by striking out one in a 1-2-3 top of the first.

Giving the Bears an early 2-0 lead in the first inning, Binford blasted her first home run of the season over the wall in left center, after McKenzie Wilson’s leadoff walk.

Binford retired the first nine batters in order before issuing a two-out walk in the fourth inning.

The Bears got an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth, when Binford doubled and scored on Ana Watson’s single up the middle.

McNeese broke up the no-hitter with a leadoff single in the seventh, but she retired the next three batters to complete the one-hit shutout. Binford recorded the program’s 37th one-hitter, striking out 11, and also came a triple shy of hitting for the cycle.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Seven starters from game one recorded a hit
  *   Binford pitched a complete-game one-hitter, the 37th in Baylor history and first since Feb. 21, 2020
  *   Binford recorded her first home run of the year, going 4-for-6 on the day
  *   The Bears pick up their sixth shutout of the season
  *   Strain recorded her fourth double of the season
  *   Bower extended her on-base streak to eight games

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the game…
“I told the team it is always disappointing when you lose, and I hope it always is but out of respect for the game, you have got to understand these teams have great players too and they expect to win just as much as you expect to win. To come out of here with a series win after going through some adversity, I am very happy with the way the kids competed.”

Aliyah Binford on her performance…
“I just wanted to get the three outs and come celebrate with my team. They team just had my back, they know I have been struggling with hitting and I was down on myself but they were always there backing me up every pitch, and it is just an amazing atmosphere when you’re on the field and know people have you through and through.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>