No. 33 Baylor WT Sweeps TCU, 7-0

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Thu Mar 10 17:02:14 CST 2022

No. 33 Baylor WT Sweeps TCU, 7-0
Bears open conference slate with a win
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – No. 33 Baylor (10-4, 1-0) opened Big 12 play with a 7-0 sweep over TCU Thursday afternoon at Hurd Tennis Center. It marked the second-straight season, and fifth time overall – that the Bears began league play with a 7-0 victory.

For the 12th time this season, Baylor clinched the doubles point. Paula Barañano and Alina Shcherbinina defeated Alisa Soloveva and Jade Otway, 6-3 to give the Bears an edge before Ana Carmen Zamburek and Anita Sahdiieva clinched the point with a 7-5 win over Aleksa Cveticanin and Stevie Kennedy.

In singles, No. 123 Shcherbinina made quick work of Otway with a 6-2, 6-0 win ono court four. Mel Krywoj was right behind her with a 6-2, 6-0 win of her own on court three over Cveticanin. Alicia Herrero clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Mercedes Aristegui on court two.

Isabella Harvison then defeated Soloveva, 6-4, 6-2, on court one. Courts five and six closed things out for the Bears as Sahdiieva won 6-2, 6-4 over Kennedy, and Barañano won, 6-2, 7-6(3) over Isabel Pascual.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor has won the doubles point in 12 matches this season.
  *   Alina Shcherbinina has won a team-best 12 matches.
  *   Paula Barañano also had double-digit wins on the season with 11.

TOP QUOTE
Joey Scrivano on the match…
“Yeah, doubles is always tough, because it’s short, it’s one set, and the margins are really tiny. But we responded in the right way. … In singles, just really proud of their focus. Their energy was really high, and our ability to focus is a big deal. That’s where our future is going to be, it’s all going to be determined by our focus level.”

UP NEXT
No. 33 Baylor hosts Texas Tech at 1 p.m. on Sunday at Hurd Tennis Center.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>