No. 5 Baylor EQ Gets Doubled Up at No. 8 Fresno State, 12-6

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 4 17:59:11 CST 2022

No. 5 Baylor EQ Gets Doubled Up at No. 8 Fresno State, 12-6
Junior JS rider Dominika Silvestri picks up Fences MOP honor

FRESNO, Calif. – No. 5 Baylor equestrian (5-6, 2-4) fell to No. 8 Fresno State (6-7, 2-4), 12-6, Friday afternoon at the Student Horse Center in Fresno, Calif.

BU managed to tie in Fences, its lone result in a single event, and entered the break down 6-3. However, a strong second half from the Bulldogs made it difficult to rally.

Points from Dominika Silvestri (89) and Annie Vorhies (75) in her collegiate debut knotted the score in Fences. Madison Mitchell also tied her matchup with a 78. Silvestri picked up Most Outstanding Performer honors with her career-high score in the event.

Meanwhile in the Western arena, FS took the lead with a 4-1 event win in Horsemanship. Marley Mainwaring scored the lone point for the Bears with a 75.

After the halftime pause, the Bulldogs pulled away with a 3-1 Reining win. Andie Pratt held off the sweep by scoring a 71 to win her point.

Despite three rides above 90 in Flat, BU dropped the final event 3-2. Mitchell (93), Silvestri (91) and Maddie Vorhies (91) contributed to the Baylor tally with career-highs in Flat, but it wouldn’t be enough to catch the Bulldogs.

NOTABLES
• Four Western matchups were decided by one point.
• Three Bears notched career-highs in Flat, including Madison Mitchell (93), Dominika Silvestri (91) and Maddie Vorhies (91).
• Mitchell’s 93 in Flat also tied a season-high for the Bears.
• Silvestri scored a Fences career-high with an 89 and gathered MOP honors in the process.
• Andie Pratt (Reining) remained undefeated in Big 12 play.
• Marley Mainwaring collected her third-straight point in Horsemanship.
• Freshman Molly Canfield made her collegiate debut in Flat.
• Freshman Annie Vorhies made her collegiate debut in Fences.

STAT OF THE MEET
89 – Dominika Silvestri’s MOP-winning score in Fences.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“Today was a tough loss and a wake up call for our team. We didn’t ride our best and we know we need to adjust quickly for tomorrow’s meet against UC Davis. We have to give our thanks to Fresno State for hosting a great meet and congratulations to them for riding really well today.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 5 Baylor (5-6, 2-4) closes out its regular season with a meet at UC Davis (2-6) on Saturday, March 5, at 1 p.m. CT.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)