Baylor VB Trio Earn Big 12 Preseason Honors

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Wed Jun 22 10:14:25 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – June 22, 2021

Baylor VB Trio Earn Big 12 Preseason Honors
Baylor boasts first Preseason Freshman of the Year in program history
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu

IRVING, Texas – Baylor volleyball seniors Lauren Harrison and Kara McGhee have been named to the 2022 Preseason All-Big 12 Team with Averi Carlson named Preseason Freshman of the Year, as voted by the league’s head coaches and announced Wednesday by the conference office.

This marks the fifth-consecutive year that the Bears have had at least two preseason all-conference members.

“We have a lot of incredible freshmen this season and our returners are strong and determined,” said eighth-year head coach Ryan McGuyre. “Our chemistry is already very fun and exciting. Averi, Lauren, and Kara are sure to make an incredible impact. They are all loved immensely by their teammates. We can be sure to see many more Baylor athletes win awards and make significant contributions as well. I’m looking forward to the growth of this young team.”

Harrison was unanimously selected to the preseason team following a stellar junior season that earned her Honorable Mention All-Region honors and had her finish 16th in the conference for kills per set (2.65). The Stone Mountain, Ga., native also was a 2021 All-Big 12 First Team selection. McGhee is also coming off a successful junior season, finishing it off as the No. 5 player in the conference for blocks per set at 1.17 while also being ranked 70th in the nation. The San Antonio native led the team in blocks with a grand total of 89 for the season, 14 of them being solo, the most on the squad.

Carlson is Baylor’s first Preseason Freshman of the Year in program history. A native of Lucas, Texas, Carlson was named 2021 Gatorade National and Texas Player of the Year and was an early-enrollee at Baylor, playing in spring matches for the Bears. She is just the third BU player to earn a preseason award overall for the program and came in as the highest-ranked recruit for the Bears, ranked No. 4 by PrepVolleyball.com. The top setter of the 2022 class, Carlson won three-straight state championships with Lovejoy High School and finished her career with 4,416 assists (9 assists/set), 1,121 digs, 479 kills and 206 aces.

The Big 12 will release the 2022 preseason poll on Thursday.

Baylor will look to build upon its sixth-consecutive 20-win season after finishing 22-6 last season with an appearance in the NCAA Regional Semifinals and a Big 12 runner-up finish.

The Bears will begin their 2022 campaign on August 26 against Minnesota in the Big Ten-Big 12 Challenge, hosted by TCU. BU will first play an intrasquad game on Aug. 17 and an exhibition against Texas A&M on Aug. 20 to kick off the season.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

2022 BIG 12 VOLLEYBALL PRESEASON AWARDS
Preseason Player of the Year: Logan Eggleston, Texas*
Preseason Freshman of the Year: Averi Carlson, Baylor

2022 PRESEASON ALL-BIG 12 TEAM
Lauren Harrison, Baylor*
Kara McGhee, Baylor
Eleanor Holthaus, Iowa State*
Caroline Bien, Kansas*
Rachel Langs, Kansas
Aliyah Carter, Kansas State*
Megan Wilson, Oklahoma
Julia Adams, TCU
Logan Eggleston, Texas*
Zoe Fleck, Texas
Asjia O’Neal, Texas*
Madisen Skinner, Texas*
Karrington Jones, Texas Tech
Kenna Sauer, Texas Tech*
Adrian Ell, West Virginia*

* - Unanimous Selection
A tie created an extra position on the team
Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own players

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
VB, A&T, BaylorBears.com