Baylor T&F Men’s Season Closes with Two All-America Honors

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Fri Jun 10 22:48:29 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – June 10, 2022

Baylor T&F Men’s Season Closes with Two All-America Honors
Ezekiel, 4x100 finish top-5 in national finals
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at Baylor.edu

EUGENE, Ore. – The Baylor track and field men’s squad wrapped up the 2022 outdoor season on Friday, finishing the competition in 18th place, the highest ranking since 2015. The 4x100 quartet and Nathaniel Ezekiel recorded All-America honors on the last day of the men’s competition.

That 4x100 squad comprised of Laurenz Colbert, Isaiah Cunningham, Kamden Jackson and De’montray Callis equaled their semifinal time of 38.99 seconds to secure the fifth-place finish in the event and the All-America honors. It was the first time since 2012 that a Baylor men’s 4x100 relay group finished top-8 nationally. Additionally, with their fifth-place spot, the quartet finished first among Big 12 foes Texas and TCU for the first time this season.

“They just ran really well,” said head coach Michael Ford. “I think the last, I guess, three races on the 4x1, the guys have been pulling together. The big goal for us this year, we’ve been working to make it to nationals, because we haven’t been to nationals in the 4x1 in a while; and also to place. That was probably the best they’ve looked all year.”

Nathaniel Ezekiel completed his first semester with the Bears with the title of All-American next to his name. The true freshman from Nigeria clocked a 49.24-second race in the event to finish in fourth place.

“I was looking at him down there, and I was like, ‘Man, this kid is only 18, 19 years old,’” said Ford. “But, he had a really great season. He’s still got the World Championships and Nigerian Trials coming up, too.”

The women return Kavia Francis (400), Aaliyah Miller (800), Koi Johnson (triple jump) and the 4x400-meter relay for the final day of the NCAA Championships on Saturday, beginning at 4:32 p.m. CT.

Coverage of Saturday’s competition will be broadcast on ESPN. A schedule of broadcast information broken down by event can be found here<https://www.ncaa.com/championships/trackfield-outdoor/d1/broadcast-info?_ga=2.199929326.1941007768.1652910602-224928530.1652910602>.

Live results can be followed throughout the meet online<https://flashresults.ncaa.com/Outdoor/2022/index.htm>, and tickets can be purchased either at the stadium or online<https://www.ncaatickets.com/championship/outdoor-track-and-field>.

For the latest news on the Baylor track and field team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F/XC)