No. 2 Baylor MT Sweeps Home-Opening Doubleheader

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Mon Jan 24 19:51:41 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 24, 2022

No. 2 Baylor MT Sweeps Home-Opening Doubleheader
Bears win 7-0 over both Abilene Christian and Boise State at Hawkins
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The No. 2 Baylor men’s tennis team improved to 4-0 on the season with its 7-0 sweeps of both Abilene Christian and Boise State at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center on Monday.

Senior Sven Lah earned his 100th-career doubles victory over the Broncos, just the fifth player in program history to hit that milestone. He’s tied for fourth all-time at 100 with Matija Zgaga (2004-07), with Baylor Hall of Famer Lars Poerschke just ahead of them at 102 for third outright.

With the win over ACU, the Bears are now 26-1 when playing in home openers. With both wins, BU has 21 sweeps under the direction of second-year head coach Michael Woodson.

BOISE STATE – Match 2
The Bears finished off the home-opening doubleheader with the Broncos (2-3), 7-0.

Lah’s 100th -career doubles doubles win came in the 6-1 victory over BSU’s Caden Moortgat/Simon Arca Costas with Finn Bass on court one. The Baylor duo are 10-3 on the year and 4-0 in dual matches thus far, winning both their doubles matches on the day.

The doubles point was clinched by Adrian Boitan and Tadeas Paroulek, the pair besting Ryo Minakata/Pedro Liborio, 6-0, on court three. It was Paroulek’s first dual match playing as a Bear. Finishing out the doubles side, Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi and Cole Gromley defeated Jesse Haas/Jan Lucca Marquardt, 6-3, on court two.

To start off in singles, freshman Ethan Muza made it a two-win day with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Marquardt on court six. Next to finish was Bass, who was victorious over Moortgat at 6-1, 6-2 on court three. Boitan defeated Liborio on court one, 6-3, 6-0.

Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi won his match with Jesse Van Herzeele, 6-2, 6-3 on court four, his second singles win of the day. Matias Soto came out on top, 3-6, 6-1(10-2), over Arca Costas on court two to go 2-0 for the doubleheader. The match was rounded out by Gromley who had a battle with Minakata on court five, winning 7-6(7-5), 6-4.

ACU – Match 1
Baylor started the doubleheader day with the Wildcats (0-5), winning 7-0.

BU started doubles play with a win from Christopher Frantzen/Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi, besting Dario Kmet/Riley Tran, 6-2, on court three. The doubles point was won for Baylor with Matias Soto/Ethan Muza winning 6-3 over Mihaly Deli/Jose Maria Rastrojo on court two. The 18th-ranked duo of Finn Bass/Sven Lah won 6-4 on court one over Daniel Morozov/Tyler Stewart to finish it off, it being Lah’s 99th career doubles win.

On the singles side, freshman Muza found his first duals win in the green and gold, besting Deli 6-0, 6-0 on court six. Next to finish was Bass on court three, winning 6-1, 6-2 over Stewart. The Bears fourth point came from No. 48 Sven Lah on court two, winning 6-2, 6-3 over Kmet for his 93rd career singles win.

Playing the match out, Grassi Mazzuchi won 6-3, 6-2 over Savan Chhabra on court four for the fifth point. Soto defeated Morozov, 6-3, 7-6(7-4) on court one, which brought the final point to court five where Jacob Brumm won 7-5, 7-6(7-5) over Cesar Barranquero.

BEAR BITES

  *   Bears stay perfect, now 4-0 on the season.
  *   BU is now 26-1 all-time in home openers after the win over ACU.
  *   Sven Lah had his 100th career doubles victory against Boise State, tied for fourth all-time at Baylor.
  *   Lah/Bass are now 4-0 in dual doubles play for the season.
  *   The Bears have 21 sweeps with Michael Woodson as head coach.
  *   Bass and Grassi Mazzuchi both are 4-0 in dual singles play, while Boitan, Soto and Lah are 3-0.

QUOTABLE – Head coach Michael Woodson
"It was a good day today, really good to be back at home. We immediately looked more comfortable in this environment and more solid overall. I think we're starting to play ourselves into good form. I was really pleased with the performance from everybody - it's been good to get back to some consistency in training. More than anything I was just impressed with Sven [Lah] reaching 100 doubles wins for his career. He has a lot more ahead of him, and it just says a lot about what he's been able to accomplish here in his time. I'm excited to see where we go from here."

QUOTABLE – Junior Finn Bass
"Sven and I are very experienced, he just got his 100th win today in doubles which is a great achievement. He obviously knows his way around the doubles court and so do I, we've had a really good start to the season with killer wins, and we're just going to keep it going. The chemistry off the court helps on the court; we're both super competitive and have really good energy. There’s a lot to play for and we think we can do good things this season."

NEXT UP
Baylor hosts William & Mary, Clemson and Miami (FL) as one of 15 host sites for ITA Kickoff Weekend. Baylor will face W&M at 2 p.m. on Jan. 30.

TENNIS RESULTS
#2 Baylor (7) vs. Boise State (0)
Waco, Texas – Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. Adrian Boitan (BU) def. Pedro Liborio (BSU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Matias Soto (BU) def. Simon Arca Costas (BSU) 3-6, 6-1, 10-2
3. Finn Bass (BU) def. Caden Moortgat (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. James Van Herzeele (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Cole Gromley (BU) def. Ryo Minakata (BSU) 7-6(7-5), 6-4
6. Ethan Muza (BU) def. Jan Lucca Marquardt (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 3, 1, 4, 2, 5

DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. #18 Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) def. Caden Moortgat/Simon Arca Costas (BSU) 6-1
2. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi/Cole Gromley (BU) def. Jesse Haas/Jan Lucca Marquardt (BSU) 6-3
3. Adrian Boitan/Tadeas Paroulek def. Ryo Minakata/Pedro Liborio (BSU) 6-0
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2

TENNIS RESULTS
#2 Baylor (7) vs. Abilene Christian (0)
Waco, Texas – Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. Matias Soto (BU) def. Daniel Morozov (ACU) 6-3, 7-6, (7-4)
2. #48 Sven Lah (BU) def. Dario Kmet (ACU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Finn Bass (BU) def. Tyler Stewart (ACU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. Savan Chhabra (ACU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jacob Brumm (BU) def. Cesar Barranquero (ACU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Ethan Muza (BU) def. Mihaly Deli (ACU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 3, 2, 4, 1, 5

DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. #18 Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) def. Daniel Morozov/Tyler Stewart (ACU) 6-4
2. Christopher Frantzen/Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. Dario Kmet/Riley Tran (ACU) 6-2
3. Matias Soto/Ethan Muza def. Mihaly Deli/Jose Maria Rastrojo (ACU) 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)