Baylor WT Falls to BYU in Season Opener

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Sat Jan 15 20:49:52 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 15, 2022

No. 11 WT Falls to BYU in Season Opener
Bears return to action Sunday vs. Illinois
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
LAS VEGAS – No. 11 Baylor dropped a hard-fought contest too BYU, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Darling Tennis Center in Las Vegas as part of the Bella the Ball Collegiate Invitational.

The Bears dropped the doubles point as the freshman duo of Alina Shcherbinina and Anita Sahdiieva picked up their first career win as a tandem in dual play with a 7-6 victory over Leah Heimuli and Jacque Dunyon.

BYU quickly went up 2-0 as Alicia Herrero Linana dropped her match to Anastasia Abramyan, 6-1, 6-3. But Paula Barañano got the Bears right back in it with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Emilee Astle.

Isabella Harvison, the Alabama transfer, played on Court No. 1 for the Bears in her dual-match debut in the green and gold. The junior dropped a 6-3, 6-4 decision to Heimuli. One court over, freshman Shcherbinina logged her first career singles victory at BU with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Dunyon.

Like her doubles partner, Sahdiieva also notched her first career singles victory with a 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8) win over Yujia Huang.

On court six, Ana Carmen Zamburek battled but fell 6-4, 6-4 too Madison Smith.

Baylor returns to action on Sunday around 5:30 p.m. (CT) to face Illinois.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Alina Shcherbinina and Anita Sahdiieva won each of their matches as the duo won in doubles before each getting the dub in singles.
  *   Paula Baranano took care of business with a 6-4, 6-1 win.

STAT OF THE GAME
67 – Percent of the singles lineup (4 of 6) that made their Baylor debut on Saturday – Isabella Harvison, Alina Shcherbinina, Anita Sahdiieva and Ana Carmen Zamburek.

TOP QUOTES
Joey Scrivano on the match
“Credit to the BYU team. They are a tough team and well coached. All that matters for us is our ability to respond. We are going to have to do a 180 with our mindset and intentions. We played with a lot of fear today, and that is never a good thing. Tomorrow we need to compete better as an entire team. We have 100 percent control over this, so I expect a different mindset tomorrow.”

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>