No. 11 Baylor WT Opens 2022 Campaign

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Fri Jan 14 15:16:20 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 14, 2022

No. 11 WT Opens 2022 Campaign
Bears to face BYU, Illinois in Bella the Ball Collegiate Invitational
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

LAS VEGAS – No. 11 Baylor women’s tennis begins its 2022 season at the Bella the Ball Collegiate Invitational in Las Vegas, Nev. The Bears open up against BYU on Saturday before taking on Illinois on Sunday.

“The girls have been working really hard and staying in the present,” associate head coach Lenka Broosova said. “They’re excited to get going and show what they’ve been working on. We’ll just focus on one day at a time and really show off their hard work.”

Baylor – ranked second in the Preseason Big 12 Poll by the league’s coaches – welcomes back a trio of key contributors from last season’s NCAA Tournament team in Mel Krywoj, Alicia Herrero Linana and Paula Baranano.

Krywoj and Herrero each had successful fall seasons as the duo won the ITA Texas Regional before finishing as ITA Fall National semifinalists. The duo earned a No. 4 ranking in the final ITA poll in December.

Additionally, Herrero was runner up in singles at the ITA Texas Regional and competed at nationals.

“I guess now is the fun part,” Herrero said. “The fall was more about getting better and getting to know each other since we have five new people on our team. But yeah, for sure, we’re super excited to play together.”

Along with junior Isabella Harvison who had to sit out the 2021 spring slate after transferring from Alabama, Baylor welcomes five freshmen to the lineup this season.

Alina Shcherbinina – who won Flight A of the Big 12 Individuals in November – is expected to be a key contributor alongside Anita Sahdiieva. Ana Carmen Zamburek, Olivia Malm and Brooke Thompson each earned key experience in the fall.

“Being a freshman and having that fresh blood and excitement is big,” Broosova said. “So, we’re expecting everyone to have a big role and play their part, and those things together will I’m sure be the recipe for success.”

For the latest news on the Baylor women's tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorWTennis.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>