No. 4 Baylor MT Outlasts No. 20 Oklahoma, 4-3

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 27 19:55:40 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 27, 2022

No. 4 Baylor MT Outlasts No. 20 Oklahoma, 4-3
Bears come away with their 14th win of the season
contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

NORMAN, Okla. – No. 4 Baylor men’s tennis bested No. 20 Oklahoma on Sunday afternoon in Norman, 4-3, capped off by an impressive performance from Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi and milestone wins for Sven Lah.

The Bears improved to 14-1 on the season while they handed the Sooners their second loss of dual play.

The Rundown
OU took the doubles point with wins on court two and three, but BU’s court one duo came away with a win for themselves. Court three finished first, with Oklahoma’s Mason Beiler/Nathan Han winning 6-1 over Tadeas Paroulek and Christopher Frantzen. No. 19-ranked pair Sven Lah and Finn Bass won on court one, 6-4, over Alex Martinez/Welsh Hotard to tie it up. It was Sooners Mark Mandlik/Baptiste Anselmo win on court two that clinched OU’s point, winning 7-6(4) over No. 24 Matias Soto and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi.

In singles, Marko Miladinović fell 6-2, 6-3 to No. 70 Jordan Hasson on court three to put the Sooners up 2-0 early. No. 110 Matias Soto earned BU’s first point of the day with his 6-3, 6-3 win over No. 29 Mason Beiler on court one.

No. 42 Lah finished third with his second win of the day, besting Martinez, 7-6(6), 6-3. With his pair of wins, Lah became a part of Baylor’s 200 Club with 200 combined singles and doubles wins in his career. He is just the seventh Bear to join the elite ranks and did so to tie the match at 2-2.

On court six, Welsh Hotard bested No. 106 Paroulek at 6-3, 7-6(5) to take the match and put OU ahead at 3-2. It was Bass on court four to tie the match at 3-3 with his win of 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 over No. 88 Mark Mandlik. It all came down to court five, where Grassi Mazzuchi went into a three-set battle with Justin Schlageter. Grassi Mazzuchi came away with the win at 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-3 to win the match for the Bears.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Michael Woodson
“This was the first match where I watched the guys and thought ‘that was a championship performance.’ Oklahoma is very confident team who is having a ton of success so far this year. Playing at home, indoors, is their comfort zone. I thought we did a really good job of hanging in there and giving ourselves a chance to win in the doubles. I felt like we were the better team on court two. That was a tough spot, but these guys, especially our veterans, did a phenomenal job of never quitting. They were disciplined, professional and they were the ultimate competitors under pressure. This match was decided on who played the big points better, and I thought the margins were extremely slim. We’re very fortunate to come out with a win but our guys competed incredibly well when our backs were against the wall and we really needed it. There’s a lot we can build on from this and we’re headed home happy.

QUOTABLE – Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi
“Overall it was a tough match from beginning to end. We couldn’t get a couple of break points and match points with Mati in doubles, and dropped the point. I’m proud of the way we all competed, even if it was not looking good in the beginning of singles. My match was kind of weird, I didn’t serve well and got broken more than I would like. Fortunately, I could pull it out and get the win for the team.”

NEXT UP
The Bears continue their seven-match road stretch with a trip to Urbana-Champaign, Ill., to face Illinois on Friday, March 4. The match is set to start at 6 p.m. CT from the Atkins Tennis Center.

TENNIS RESULTS
#4 Baylor (4) at #20 Oklahoma (3)
Norman, Okla. – Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. #110 Matias Soto (BU) def. #29 Mason Beiler (OU) 6-3, 6-3
2. #42 Sven Lah (BU) def. Alex Martinez (OU) 7-6(6), 6-3
3. #70 Jordan Hasson (OU) def. Marko Miladinović (BU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Finn Bass (BU) def. #88 Mark Mandlik (OU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. Justin Schlageter (OU) 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-3
6. Welsh Hotard (OU) def. #106 Tadeas Paroulek (BU) 6-3, 7-6(5)
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2, 6, 4, 5
DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. #19 Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) def. Alex Martinez/Welsh Hotard (OU) 6-4
2. Mark Mandlik/Baptiste Anselmo (OU) def. #24 Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi/Matias Soto (BU) 7-6(4)
3. Mason Beiler/Nathan Han (OU) def. Christopher Frantzen/Tadeas Paroulek (BU) 1-6
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)