Baylor Softball Defeats San Diego, 10-4

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 27 14:47:45 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 27, 2022

Baylor Softball Defeats San Diego, 10-4
Bears close out Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic, 2-2 on the weekend
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
PALM SPRINGS, Calif. – They Baylor offense came alive in Sunday mornings matchup against San Diego, where the Bears defeated the Toreros, 10-4 to close out the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic.

Aliyah Binford got the start in the circle for the Bears, striking out two in the top of the first as San Diego went down in order.

Offensively, Emily Hott got things started with a bunt to the pitcher, before McKenzie Wilson tripled down the right field line scoring Hott. Following that up, Sydney Collazos had an RBI single giving the Bears the 2-0 lead.

A single from Binford and a walk from Josie Bower loaded the bases when two groundouts brought home two more runs. Kendall Cross singled up the middle as Bower scored, stretching the Bears lead to 5-0.

After two more walks in the bottom of the first, Wilson recorded her second hit of the inning bringing home Cross from third.

Holding San Diego scoreless through four innings, the Toreros didn’t record their first hit until the fifth inning. They were able to plate three in the top of the fifth while the Bears still held the 9-3 lead.

Bringing home the tenth run of the game was Taylor Strain, who doubled to left center field, scoring Rhein Trochim who walked and stole second base earlier in the inning.

San Diego scored one more run in the top of the sixth but a strikeout and groundout ended the inning.

The Bears took the 10-4 win after the game was called off in the top of the seventh after a drop-ball time of 11:30 a.m. was reached.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   McKenzie Wilson went 4-for-4 at the plate
  *   Aliyah Binford picked up the win, tossing 3.1 innings with six strikeouts
  *   Rachel Hertenberger recorded three strikeouts in relief
  *   Three Bears recorded doubles – Taylor Strain, Aliyah Binford and Sydney Collazos
  *   Four Bears had a multi-hit game – Emily Hott, Mckenzie Wilson, Aliyah Binford and Josie Bower
  *   Nine different batters recorded a run
  *   The Bears out hit the Toreros 13-4

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the game…
“Good solid weekend. We could have and should have been 3-1 but a 2-2 weekend with the offensive numbers we put up will give us great confidence.  We hit .364 with 47 hits in one of the top tournaments in the nation.  Still some questions defensively but every game we are better.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>