Baylor Baseball Notches 6-2 Win Over HBU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Tue Feb 22 23:03:24 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 22, 2022

Baylor BSB Notches 6-2 Win Over HBU
Bears get in the win column for first time in 2022

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (1-3) defeated Houston Baptist (0-4), 6-2, Tuesday evening at Baylor Ballpark.

The Bears racked up nine hits, including multi-hit efforts from Jack Pineda, Tre Richardson and Kyle Nevin, to put their first tally in the win column for 2022.

BU wasted no time getting on the board as Nevin singled in Jared McKenzie in the bottom of the first, then added another in the third as a sacrifice fly off Nevin’s bat scored Pineda. Two more came across via a Richardson home run in the bottom of the fifth, Baylor’s first long ball of the year, to put the Bears ahead 4-0.

Despite a shaky seventh inning in which BU surrendered two runs on two hits and three walks, trimming the lead to 4-2, the Bears were able to respond with a two-spot of their own in the bottom half thanks to three hits and two walks.

Sophomore lefty Kobe Andrade (1-0) made his first-career start and picked up the win. Freshman RHP Henry Cone and sophomore LHP Cam Caley followed him with scoreless performances. Right-handers Hambleton Oliver and Mason Marriott mopped things up in the late innings to put a cap on Baylor’s first win of the year.

NOTES
• Baylor improved to 6-2 all-time against Houston Baptist.
• BU is now 1-0 in midweek games this season and 44-15 in midweek contests under seventh-year head coach Steve Rodriguez.
• Sophomore LHP/OF Kobe Andrade made his first-career start on the mound and earned the win, going two scoreless innings while allowing three hits and striking out one.
• Sophomore INF Tre Richardson and sophomore OF Kyle Nevin each picked up their second multi-hit games of the season, while junior INF Jack Pineda recorded his first.
• Richardson also notched his second multi-RBI game of the year, while Nevin collected his first.
• Richardson hit BU’s first home run of the season.
• Pineda extended his hitting streak to seven games, dating back to last season.
• Sophomore OF Jared McKenzie has reached base in 10-straight games, dating back to last season.
• Freshman INF Cody Grebeck made his first-career start at third base.
• Sophomore C Cade Currington made his season debut as the designated hitter and went 1-for-4.

STAT OF THE GAME
2 – Tre Richardson racked up two hits and two RBI for the second-consecutive game, while Kyle Nevin also tallied two hits and two RBI. Jack Pineda also collected a pair of hits in the win.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On earning win number one for the year…
“I think it’s always good to get the first one. Learning how to win is a really important thing. Like I told our guys today, today is a hard win because the conditions are not traditional baseball weather. You have 20 miles per hour wind blowing straight in. Every fly ball was an interesting play. Our guys did a really good job of understanding the situation that we were in. I thought our offense did a great job, really hitting balls hard and being able to take advantage of some opportunities. We were executing much better today.”

Sophomore INF Tre Richardson
On hitting his stride offensively…
“I still think there’s a lot of room for improvement, but that’s just part of the game. You play early on and it’s cold weather out here and it’s not comfortable for everybody, but just understanding that it’s a long season. There’s a lot of time for adjustments. After the last few [hits] on Sunday, I felt good with the way the game went and the way my approach was. I’m just trying to build off that and then just keep going. It’s a confidence booster for sure.”

Junior INF Jack Pineda
On hitting a triple…
“After the game on Sunday, I went to church at night, and I swear it was like God told me something I was doing wrong in my swing. I drove straight from church right here [to the ballpark]. I think if God tells you something, you better listen to it. It felt really good to get that one off and it really sparked everything.”

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears (1-3) continue their seven-game homestand with a three-game set against No. 23 Duke (3-1), beginning Friday, Feb. 25, at 3 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)