No. 3 Baylor MT Finds First Loss, 4-2 Against No. 2 Tennessee

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 20 22:11:06 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 20, 2022

No. 3 Baylor MT Finds First Loss, 4-2 Against No. 2 Tennessee
Bears fall in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships semifinals
contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

SEATTLE, Wash. – The No. 3-ranked and second-seeded Baylor men’s tennis team fell in the semifinals of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, 4-2, to the No. 2, third seeded Tennessee on Sunday at the Nordstrom Tennis Center on Washington’s campus.

The rematch of the 2021 NCAA Championship Semifinals fell to the Volunteers this time around.

The Bears (13-1) two points came from Adrian Boitan and Tadeas Paroulek in singles. Baylor’s 13-match winning streak came to an end; the longest streak since 2005.

THE RUNDOWN
BU dropped the doubles point as Tennessee picked up wins on courts two and three. Court two finished first, with UT’s Pat Harper/Adam Walton besting Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi and Matias Soto, 6-4, in a come-from-behind win. Court three had Volunteers’ pair Johannus Monday/Mark Wallner winning 7-5 over Adrian Boitan and Tadeas Paroulek to clinch. No. 12 Finn Bass and Sven Lah were tied at 6-6 with No. 13 pair Shunsuke Mitsui/Emile Hudd on court one in a 5-5 tiebreak when the point was clinched.

In singles, Tennessee got their second point of the match on court five with Mitsui besting Grassi Mazzuchi, 6-4, 6-0 for the Bear’s first loss of the season. Boitan earned Baylor’s first point with his decisive 6-3, 6-2 win over No. 21 Adam Walton on court one. Court four was the third to finish, with No. 122 Angel Diaz besting Finn Bass, 6-4, 6-4 to put the Vols ahead 3-1.

On court six, No. 39 Tadeas Paroulek had a strong 7-6(5), 6-2 win over Conor Gannon to push BU forward, now just one point behind UT at 3-2. A race to the finish ensued on courts two and three. Court three finished with Tennessee’s No. 100 Emile Hudd taking the win, 6-4, 7-6(9) over No. 123 Sven Lah to clinch the match. Court two had Matias Soto’s match with No. 10 Johannus Monday go unfinished at 7-6(7), 5-4.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Michael Woodson
“It was a tough match tonight. Ultimately, I’m super proud of the guys. They fought really hard. We’re not playing our best tennis yet, but that’s not the goal. We had a very successful National Indoor Tournament. We gave ourselves opportunities and fought to the bitter end. These are the types of matches that our guys come to Baylor to play. I’m very impressed with the way they handled themselves, carried themselves, represented our team and University. There’s so much to build on there. We have the experience under our belt now and we have the opportunity to learn and grow. You ultimately can’t do that without being exposed a little bit; credit to Tennessee, they were just a little bit better today. I’m excited to see them again down the road, I’m sure we will. I’m really proud of the guys on a heck of a run. We’ll be better from it.”

NEXT UP
The Bears will travel to Norman, Oklahoma to face the Oklahoma Sooners on February 27. Match time is set for 1 p.m. at Headington Tennis Center.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)