Baylor Softball Splits Doubleheader with No. 12 Oregon

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 18 22:44:09 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 18, 2022

Baylor Softball Splits Doubleheader with No. 12 Oregon
Bears shutout Ducks in first game
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor softball took down its first ranked opponent of the year as the Bears (6-1) split Friday’s doubleheader with Oregon at Getterman Stadium.

Game 1: Baylor 3, Oregon 0
Baylor got a strong start in the circle from Dariana Orme (3-0), who struck out the first batter of the day while only allowing two baserunners through the first two innings.

The bottom of the third saw all of the action for Baylor offensively, as Emily Hott started things off with a single up the middle before McKenzie Wilson reached on a fielder’s choice and stole second. Singles from Sydney Collazos and Ana Watson plated two runs, and the third came across on a fielder’s choice.

Baylor and Oregon both had batters retired in order in the fourth inning.

A double from Watson and a bunt single from Taylor Strain were the last two hits of the first game, but three runs were enough to seal the win.

Orme pitched a complete game shutout, striking out six and only issuing one walk.

Hott and Watson were each 2-for-3 at the plate, while Wilson and Aliyah Binford each recorded a stolen base.

Game 2: Baylor 4, Oregon 8
The Ducks went 1-2-3 in the top of the first, as Emily Hott hit a leadoff single for the second-straight game.

Aliyah Binford held Oregon scoreless for the first two innings, issuing three strikeouts in that time, before a fielder’s choice allowed a run to come across in the top of the third. Binford worked out of the bases loaded jam, striking out another batter to close out the inning.

An error and a groundout plated two more for the Ducks in the fifth inning.

The Bears scored their first run in the bottom of the fifth on a wild pitch.

A three-run homerun in the top of the sixth put Oregon up, 6-1. The Ducks scored their last two runs in the top of the seventh.

The Baylor offense came to life in the bottom of the seventh when Rhein Trochim led off the inning with a single up the middle. Taylor Strain singled up the middle before Wilson, Collazos and Binford each recorded RBI singles. Pulling within four, a strikeout ended the game with the Bears falling short of the comeback.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Dariana Orme picked up her first complete-game shutout of the season
  *   The Bears picked up their first win over a ranked opponent
  *   BU handed Oregon (7-1) its first loss of the season
  *   McKenzie Wilson has stolen a base in five of last seven games
  *   Nine different Bears recorded a hit in game two

STAT OF THE GAME
17 – The number of hits by Baylor on the day

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the offense…
“Very, very happy. I told them, there would be few pitching staffs that we would face that would be any better than what we saw today. I thought we had quality at-bats and made them earn their strikeouts. We out-hit them that last game. We hit it hard. There were only a few balls that left the infield for them that whole game, but they counted more than ours did. So, couldn’t be happier with what we’re doing offensively. And I feel confident throughout our lineup and even with a couple of them on our bench that we can get quality at-bats and protection out of them, if we need to use them.”

Ana Watson on the game…
“You saw it in the first game and the second game in the last inning, we put some balls in plays that were tough. If we keep scrapping, keep pushing the ball, keep having great at-bats, we’re going to be fine.”

Dariana Orme on the first game…
“I think today I had a lot of my stuff that was on. When I would get a ground ball or a pop-up, my team did what they were supposed to do. That just kept me going and allowed me to throw strikes and that helped out a lot.”

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>