No. 6 Baylor EQ Dominates South Carolina, 13-5

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 18 15:15:20 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 18, 2022

No. 6 Baylor EQ Dominates South Carolina, 13-5
Bears send seniors out in style with largest margin of victory this season

WACO, Texas – No. 6 Baylor equestrian (5-5) dominated South Carolina (0-8) 13-5 to close out its home season Friday afternoon at the Willis Family Equestrian Center.

A sweeping first half gave the Bears a 9-0 lead at the break, and BU was able to keep the Gamecocks from rallying to see out the win.

Baylor set the tone with four rides above 80 in Fences. After Dominika Silvestri tied her point at 83, Emma Fletcher, Caroline Fuller, Savannah Hemby and Madison Mitchell put points on the board with scores of 87, 83, 84 and 77, respectively. Fletcher garnered her first Most Outstanding Performer honors of the year in leading the Bears to a 4-0 event win.

Over in the Western arena, BU remained in total control as the Horsemanship squad collected all five points. Nadalee Vasquez’s 76.5 was good for her second-consecutive MOP recognition.

After the break, the Gamecocks found their footing in Flat, taking the event 4-1. Maddie Vorhies was the sole pointwinner for the Bears with an 80.

However, Baylor’s Reining contingent saw out the meet with a 3-1 win. Shelby Clausen, Daisy Kaufman and Jenna Meimerstorf collected the points with a 71.5, 70.5 and 71, respectively. Clausen’s ride earned her MOP accolades for the day.

NOTABLES
• Baylor improved to 5-5 on the season with its first win against an unranked opponent in 2021-22.
• The Bears improved to 7-8 all-time against South Carolina.
• Baylor has scored at least seven points in all 10 of its meets this year.
• BU swept Horsemanship for the second time this season.
• BU swept Fences for the first time this season.
• Emma Fletcher scored a career-high 87 in Fences and earned her first MOP honors of the year.
• Bella Rosa collected her first point of the season in Horsemanship with a season-high 75.5.
• Nadalee Vasquez earned her second-consecutive MOP honor in Horsemanship.
• Shelby Clausen gathered her third MOP of the 2021-22 campaign.

STAT OF THE MEET
9 – Baylor held a nine-point lead at halftime, winning nine of 10 points and tying one.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“What an incredible way to send out our seniors. It’s so great to finish up the regular season at home with a big win for our team. We definitely needed this coming off two hard losses, but we knew this is what they were capable of. They just pulled it together in all of the events today and made it happen. So glad to finish our home regular season and send our seniors out this way.”

On this year’s senior class…
“What a volatile four years they’ve had. It’s been a wild ride for them. Just to let them have a true, holistic experience their senior year, for us to be having an amazing season, for us to be able to send them out with a big win, I think is awesome because they’ve really been resilient through everything they’ve been through. I just appreciate them so much. We’re gonna miss them. They’ve been a huge part of our chapter here."

Horsemanship freshman Nadalee Vasquez
On her run of form lately and the excitement of Senior Day…
“It’s been awesome to close out the season strong. It’s important to stay strong going into our next competitions and keep going. And today was an awesome opportunity to support all of the seniors. We love them as they head off to their new adventures.”

Jumping Seat senior Caroline Fuller
On going out on top for Senior Day…
“I think ending at home with everyone around, the whole team being here, was really special. It meant a lot to everybody.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 6 Baylor (5-5, 2-3) heads to California as part of a three-meet road trip beginning with a showdown at No. 7 Fresno State (4-6, 1-3) on Friday, March 4, at the Student Horse Center in Fresno, Calif.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)