No. 3 Baylor MT Bests Tulsa 4-1, Looks to No. 7 Virginia

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Fri Feb 11 18:31:47 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – February 11, 2022

No. 3 Baylor MT Bests Tulsa 4-1, Looks to No. 7 Virginia
Bears face Cavaliers on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Hawkins Indoor
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – The No. 3 Baylor men’s tennis team bested Tulsa on Friday afternoon in the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, winning 4-1.

The Bears improve their record to 10-0 for the season with the win over the Golden Hurricane (4-3) who is receiving votes in the most recent ITA poll.

In doubles, Matias Soto and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi finished first with a clean 6-0 match over Adham Gaber/Callum Gale on court two. Court three finished next to clinch the doubles point, with Adrian Boitan and Tadeas Paroulek winning 6-2 over Daniel Siddall/Tom Thelwall-Jones. Finn Bass and Sven Lah were up 4-3 on court one when the match went unfinished. Bass and Lah remain 6-1 in dual matches, while Grassi Mazzuchi and Soto are 7-0, and the pairing of Boitan and Paroulek improve to 5-0.

On the singles side, Tulsa was the first to grab a point as Hurricane Connor Di Marco bested Bass on court five, 7-5, 6-0. No. 123 Sven Lah put BU up at 2-0 with his win over Stefan Hampe, 7-5, 6-2 on court three. Boitan won on court one against Kody Pearson, 7-6(4), 6-3 to make it 3-1 overall. It was No. 39 Paroulek who clinched the match for Baylor after clinching the doubles point with Boitan, this time winning 7-6(1), 6-2 over Gale on court six. Marko Miladinović was in a superset tiebreaker with Gaber at 6-1, 6-7(2), 1-0 on court four when the point was clinched. Soto’s match also went unfinished in a tiebreaker on court two at 4-6, 6-6(1-2) with No. 86 Ezequiel Santalla.

Boitan is now at 8-0 in singles, Bass at 7-1, Lah at 5-1, Soto at 5-0 and Miladinović at 4-0, while Paroulek is now 2-0.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Michael Woodson
“I think we learned a ton today. We knew they were going to be difficult, a really good indoor team, plays their best tennis in these conditions. They really pushed us. I thought we did a really nice job coming out in doubles, setting the tone, getting some big leads. We know we need to be better tomorrow, but to make sure we bring our best stuff day in and day out.”

QUOTABLE – Sophomore Tadeas Paroulek
On his singles match
“There were some tough moments [today], it was a really close set, but I got the point. I started strong and I kept serving big, started playing better and faster and he slowed down.”
On the team
“We’re playing the best teams we’ve played so far. It’s going to be a challenge for us but we will do our best.”

The Bears now face No. 7 Virginia on Saturday, with the match set for 2 p.m. at Hawkins Indoor.

LOOKING AT VIRGINIA
Virginia leads the series 9-5 over Baylor, with two of the last three matchups being wins for the Bears. The two have not met since 2015.

The No. 7-ranked Cavaliers (5-1) come to Waco after falling 4-0 to then-No. 5 Ohio State on Sunday, their first loss of the season. UVA had only dropped one point to an opponent before the loss to the Buckeyes, winning 6-1 over Harvard in January. They swept Georgia Tech and Ball State in their ITA Kickoff Weekend matches. Virginia is also headed to the ITA Indoor Championships in Seattle, Washington, which will take place from Feb. 18-21. Draws have not yet been set.

The match will be live streamed on PlaySight and can be viewed here<https://baylorbea.rs/2DjXAHl>, while live scoring can be found here<https://baylorbea.rs/2MgHRf0>.

Full recaps and final stats will be uploaded to BaylorBears.com after the conclusion of play.

There is a free t-shirt giveaway as well as free Tiff’s Treats on a first come, first serve basis at the match with the Cavaliers.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

TENNIS RESULTS
#3 Baylor (4) vs. RV Tulsa (1)
Waco, Texas – Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. Adrian Boitan (BU) def. Kody Pearson (TLS) 7-6(4), 6-3
2. Matias Soto (BU) vs. #86 Ezequiel Santalla (TLS) 4-6, 6-6(1-2) unfinished
3. #123 Sven Lah (BU) def. Stefan Hampe (TLS) 7-5, 6-2
4. Marko Miladinović (BU) vs. Adham Gaber (TLS) 6-1, 6-7(2), 1-0 unfinished
5. Connor Di Marco (TLS) def. Finn Bass (BU) 7-5, 6-0
6. #39 Tadeas Paroulek (BU) def. Callum Gale (TLS) 7-6(1), 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1, 6

DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. #18 Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) vs. Connor Di Marco/Kody Pearson (TLS) 4-3 unfinished
2. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi/Matias Soto (BU) def. Adham/Gaber/Callum Gale (TLS) 6-0
3. Adrian Boitan/Tadeas Paroulek (BU) def. Daniel Siddall/Tom Thelwall-Jones (TLS) 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)