No. 25 Baylor WT Falls in Austin to No. 1 Texas, 4-2

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Wed Feb 2 18:26:31 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 2, 2022

No. 25 Baylor WT Falls in Austin to No. 1 Texas, 4-2
BU becomes first team to win a point vs. Longhorns this season
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
AUSTIN, Texas – No. 25 Baylor women’s tennis dropped a non-conference match at No. 1 Texas Wednesday afternoon at the Weller Tennis Center.

Baylor took the doubles point, becoming the first team this season to win a point over the Longhorns. It also marked the third-straight match that BU won the doubles point.

Isabella Harvison and Paula Baranano took care of Allura Zamarripa and Vivian Ovrootsky, 6-3, on court No. 3. The doubles point was clinched on court No. 1 as No. 4 Mel Krywoj and Alicia Herrero Linana downed Sabina Zaynalova and Kylie Collins, 6-3.

Texas bounced back, winning three-straight singles matches to take a 3-1 lead. No. 97 Alina Shcherbinina kept the Bears in it as she won her match, 6-4, 6-3, on court No. 3. The freshman is now 4-1 this spring.

Fellow freshman Anita Sahdiieva had a gritty performance no court No. 6. Down 6-3 after the first set, Sahdiieva went to work against No. 117 Malaika Rapolu to take the second set, 6-4.

Her final set went unfinished as court No. 4 clinched the match for the Longhorns as Zaynalova defeated No. 77 Herrero, 1-6, 6-4, 6-1.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor is the first team to win a point against the Longhorns this year.
  *   No. 4 Mel Krywoj and Alicia Herrero Linana are 3-0 in doubles action.
  *   Alina Shcherbinina is now 4-1 on the season.

TOP QUOTES
Joey Scrivano on the match…
“I’m proud of the ladies. They competed hard and responded with a lot of character today. Now, we just need to learn from the match and keep putting our energy into our preparation. We have an amazing opportunity to respond and compete this weekend.”

UP NEXT
No. 25 Baylor returns home to host Washington State and Tyler Junior College on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>