No. 22 Baylor WT to face No. 1 Texas

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Tue Feb 1 16:01:23 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 1, 2022

No. 22 Baylor WT to face No. 1 Texas
Bears head south to take on top-ranked Longhorns in non-conference match
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 22 Baylor women’s tennis is heading south down I-35 to take on the No. 1 team in the country, the Texas Longhorns.

Wednesday’s match, slated for a 2 p.m. start, will go down as a non-conference match with the two meeting again on April 16 for the Big 12 regular-season finale.

The Bears, at 2-2 on the season, enter the midweek contest off a 1-1 showing at the ITA Kickoff Weekend event in Waco. After downing Kansas 4-1, Baylor fell short in a gritty performance, 4-3, to No. 15 USC.

“Last weekend, we learned a lot about ourselves,” head coach Joey Scrivano said. “Ultimately, we didn’t get what we wanted. Now we need to respond. It’s a beautiful thing to have the opportunity to get back on the court and test our character (on Wednesday). It’s really what sport is all about.”

Mel Krywoj made her spring season debut for the Bears last weekend and teamed up with her doubles partner, Alicia Herrero Linana. The tandem – ranked No. 4 in the nation – downed back-to-back ranked opponents in No. 51 Maria Titova and Malkia Ngunoue of Kansas and No. 23 Snow Han and Salma Ewing of USC.

Add a pair of ranked doubles wins on top of a tough victory to tie the USC match at 3-3, and that’s the resume for Herrero who was named the Big 12’s Player of the Week on Tuesday.

All-time, Baylor is 19-39 against the Longhorns with the last win coming on April 12, 2017 by a final score of 4-2.

For the latest news on the Baylor women's tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorWTennis.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>