XC Opens Season at Tornado Watch Invite

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Wed Aug 31 14:32:57 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Aug. 31, 2022

Baylor XC Opens Season at Tornado Watch Invite
Barnett going into second year with the Bears
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at Baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – Baylor cross country opens the season on Thursday morning at the Tornado Watch Invitational hosted by Concordia University. The men’s 5K begins at 7:30 a.m., followed by the women’s at 8 a.m. at Old Settler’s Park in Round Rock, Texas.

“It’s going to be a shorter race distance for the men and the women,” said distance coach David Barnett. “They’ll both do 5Ks. We’re trying to knock the rust off and get a line in the sand, just kind of see where we are. It’s a short trip, we’ll be down and back pretty easily, and be able to get recovered and get back to work.”

The Bears plan to enter 12 runners at the meet, split evenly with six in both races. The men’s event highlights returners Ryan Day, Devin Duran, Ryan Hodge and Drew Snyder, while opening the collegiate careers of true freshmen Caleb Ackman and Ethan Wrase.

The women’s squad features Chloe Gangnath, Hayden Gold, Jordan Ledington, Sophia Leidner, Cate Urbani and Alaina Zamorano, all of which are returning for another year in the green and gold.

“I'm super excited,” said sophomore Gold. “I feel like Coach Barnett has prepared us well. The team's looking really solid and we're a much tighter pack than we were last year, even though we did lose some of our top runners.”

The 2022 season will mark season No. 2 for Barnett and also begins the Baylor coaching career for first-year assistant Abbie Fredrick.

“It’s been nice to have another full-time person with a bigger group,” said Barnett. “She jumped in, and she’s been doing a good job.”

For the latest news on the Baylor cross country team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)