Baylor Soccer Defeats Florida, 2-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Thu Aug 25 20:05:44 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Aug. 25, 2022

Baylor Soccer Defeats Florida, 2-1
Lenard records her first win at Baylor
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
AUSTIN, Texas – Baylor soccer’s last-minute goal pushed the Bears past Florida, 2-1, Thursday afternoon at Mike A. Myers Stadium to record head coach Michelle Lenard’s first win at BU.

The Bears put up a fight in the first half, out shooting the Gators, 7-1, but weren’t able to capitalize in the first 45 minutes.

Coming out hot in the second half, Maddie Algya sent a shot in in the 48th minute but the ball sailed just high of the net. Baylor struck first as Ashley Merrill headed in ball off of a set piece in the 57th minute, from a corner kick by Algya.

Baylor kept the Gators at bay until the 81st minute, when they scored to knot the game at one apiece.

Not going down without a fight, in the 89th minute, Gabby Mueller found the top right of the net on an assist from Haven Terry to take the lead and secure the win.

The Baylor defense only allowed three shots on goal, with starting goalkeeper Lauren Traywick recording two saves.

Nine Bears recorded shots during the game, with a season-high four off the boot of Blythe Obar.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Michelle Lenard picked up her first win at Baylor
  *   Blythe Obar recorded a career-high four shots
  *   Gabby Mueller recorded her third-career goal
  *   Ashley Merrill recorded her first goal for the green & gold, 33rd of her career
  *   Haven Terry and Maddie Algya each recorded an assist

TOP QUOTES
Michelle Lenard on the first win of the season …
“It feels good, I’m happy for the team. I thought we deserved to win. It would have been really disappointing for that game to go the other way. I thought we played well, from the beginning. We controlled the first half. Didn’t create enough good chances, but controlled it. Second half, we started to create better chances, finally got a goal. Then it got a little sticky as they adjusted their system a little bit. We’ve got to learn to make adjustments on the fly better. I think that will come with experience. We have a lot of young players out there. And then, to fight back after giving up the goal, the equalizer, with not much time left on the clock, I’m really proud. That shows a mentality shift from our last game. I’m really happy for Gabby to finish that one, we know she can finish. We’ve been challenging her to get herself in the box more, and she did, and a fantastic finish.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>