Baylor MT Names Nich Ochran Volunteer Assistant

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Mon Aug 8 10:35:11 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Aug. 8, 2022

Baylor MT Names Nich Ochran Volunteer Assistant
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at Baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – Baylor men’s tennis head coach Michael Woodson announced the appointment of Nich Ochran to volunteer assistant coach on Monday. Ochran served as a team manager for four years during his six years enrolled at the university in undergraduate and graduate studies.

“We couldn’t be more excited to have Nich staying on to work with our program in this elevated role,” said Woodson. “His four-plus years of experience serving our student-athletes, as well as his extensive experience as part of the Baylor family, make him an excellent fit for this position.

“Nich has a zest for life that is infectious, and his desire to mentor young people is something we feel strongly about here at Baylor, so the fit could not be better. Combining his skill set with the rest of the staff will help continue to elevate this program with regard to providing the best possible experience to past, current and future Baylor Tennis student-athletes. We can’t wait to hit the ground running this week!”

Ochran graduated from Baylor with a health science degree in 2020 and completed his master’s degree in public health in 2022. In addition to his work with the tennis program during his graduate studies, Ochran also served as the graduate apprentice in the Wellness department, working with the Fitwell classes.

“I could not be more excited to be coming back to Baylor and serving on this coaching staff,” said Ochran. “Mike [Woodson] and Izak [van der Merwe] are excellent coaches and leaders who are focused on the maturity of these players on the court and off, and I look forward to developing the culture they have implemented within this team. The roster is full of highly talented players, and I couldn’t be more excited to assist them in their development as players and people. I am very humbled to be in this position, and I can’t wait to get to work. Big things are coming for this program.”

The Bears open the Hurd Tennis Center for the ITA Regional tournament for the lone time this upcoming fall semester October 13-18.

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all year long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING:

Fifth-Year Senior, Finn Bass…

“Having Nich staying on with the program is fantastic news. We have been really fortunate over the last couple years with his hard work and dedication to help the team in all areas, and I’m excited that this will be able to continue this coming year. More importantly Nich is far more than just a member of the staff he is a close friend to myself and all the returners and this is why we are lucky to have him on board for what will be an exciting year.”

Fifth-Year Senior, Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi…

“The passion and love Nich brings to the court are completely unmatched and will certainly help to achieve the goals we have as a program. He is an inspiration for all of us and he knows what it takes to be where we want to be.  We can’t wait to get started!”

Colin Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (T&F, XC, MTEN)