Baylor Baseball Falls in Friday Night Matchup to No. 9 Texas Tech

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 29 22:28:47 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 29, 2022

Baylor BSB Falls in Friday Night Matchup to No. 9 Texas Tech
Pineda’s RBI triple provides the lone offense in 7-1 loss

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (21-21, 4-12) fell on Friday night to No. 9 Texas Tech (30-15, 10-6) by a final of 7-1 at Baylor Ballpark to start the weekend series.

Jack Pineda’s third-inning RBI triple provided the lone run of the game for the Bears, his fifth three-bagger of the season to move one shy of the nation’s lead. Senior RHP Jake Jackson tied his season high with seven strikeouts, but took the loss.

Tech jumped out to a 1-0 lead after the first inning thanks to an RBI single, but Jackson recorded four of the first seven outs of the ballgame via strikeout. With two outs in the third, the Red Raiders struck for four more via an RBI double and a three-run home run to increase their lead to 5-0.

BU got its run in the bottom of the third, as Jacob Schoenvogel was chased in by Pineda’s shot off the base of the center field wall. That was all the Bears would get though, as Tech starter Andrew Morris went seven innings allowing just four hits and the one run, while striking out seven.

TTU scored one in the sixth and one in the ninth to increase its tally. Adam Muirhead pitched a clean seventh frame for BU, while Grant Golomb notched a career-high three strikeouts in his two innings of work.

NOTES
• Baylor extended its streak to 21 games in a row with an extra-base hit.
• The Bears have tallied two or more XBH in 10 of their last 11 games.
• BU added to its Big 12-best total of 46 double plays on the 2022 season with another two twin killings in the ballgame.
• The Bears’ pitching staff eclipsed double digits in strikeouts for the 11th time this season and second-consecutive game.
• BU hasn’t recorded back-to-back games with 10+ strikeouts since the season’s opening series vs. Maryland, when the Bears did so in all three games.
• Jake Jackson tied his season high with seven punchouts.
• Grant Golomb set a career high with three strikeouts.
• Casen Neumann tallied his second multi-hit game of the season.
• Jack Pineda hit his fifth triple of the season, moving him one closer to the nation’s lead (six).

STAT OF THE GAME
5 – Jack Pineda hit his fifth triple of the season to provide the lone Baylor run in tonight’s ballgame.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On if the Pineda triple nearly sparked a comeback…
“That’s the thing, we are trying to string it together. They have five, and then we get the one but can’t get him in from third base, even just to get it to 5-2 to create a little momentum for ourselves. Sometimes that’s just what it takes, just one swing up the middle to score the run and then we can start it back up again. The thing is, that was just that one inning. We had opportunities and we just could not string the hits together. I thought a couple of our guys did a really good job against a really good pitcher, so we just got to continue to get better.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (21-21, 4-12) and No. 9 Texas Tech (30-15, 10-6) return for a Saturday matinee at Baylor Ballpark, with first pitch scheduled for 3:00 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)