Baylor WBB Adds Missouri Guard Aijha Blackwell

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 29 19:26:09 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 29, 2022

Baylor WBB Adds Missouri Guard Aijha Blackwell
Three-time All-SEC honoree averaged a double-double last season
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor head coach Nicki Collen announced the signing of transfer Aijha Blackwell from Missouri on Friday evening. The junior will have two years of eligibility after earning All-SEC honors in each of her three seasons at Missouri.

“We are incredibly excited to have Aijha wear the green and gold,” Collen said. “Our fans saw firsthand how she can impact the game with her physicality, rebounding and overall attack mentality when Mizzou played us in December. She has the ability to swing between forward positions and is a true mismatch for opponents with her combination of skill, speed and size.

“Aijha wants to continue to develop her all-around game and be pro-ready, and I know we can help her do that. She is a passionate competitor with a big heart and will be an asset to Baylor and the Waco community. Aijha is interested in helping young kids and academically majors in early childhood education. Hopefully fans will show Aijha, her mother Amy, and the entire Blackwell family some Baylor love.”

Blackwell led the Tigers in scoring last season with 15.4 points to go with 13.0 rebounds per game, a mark that ranked second nationally. She shot .495 from the floor and .338 from 3-point range.

As a sophomore, the 6-foot guard averaged 14.5 points and 11.0 rebounds to become the fifth player in program history, and the first since 1997-98, to average a double-double. Her 11 rebounds were good for second in program history.

Blackwell had a breakout freshman campaign, averaging 15.0 points and 7.9 rebounds on the season. She elevated her game in conference play to put up 17.9 points and 8.8 rebounds to go with 3.1 assists.

A three-time all-state selection at Whitfield High School, the Berkeley, Mo., native was ranked as the nation’s No. 9 prospect by ESPN HoopGurlz. Blackwell was also selected to play for the USA U18 National Team, averaging 9.3 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists during USA’s gold-medal run.

For the latest news on the Baylor women’s basketball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorWBB.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>