Baylor Softball Holds Off Sam Houston, 3-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 15 21:51:06 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 15, 2022

Baylor Softball Holds Off Sam Houston, 3-1
Bears’ three-run first inning gets the job done
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor softball picked up a win Friday night against Sam Houston, defeating the Bearkats, 3-1, at Getterman Stadium.

The Bears put up three runs in the bottom of the first, the only runs for the Bears in the game.

After starting pitcher Dariana Orme struck out three in the top of the first, McKenzie Wilson drew a leadoff walk and stole second to start the bottom half of the inning. With Wilson on second, Emily Hott singled to left center, putting runners on the corners for Josie Bower. Hott stole second before Aliyah Binford walked to load the bases. Kaci West followed that up with a double to right-center, which cleared the bases, before getting thrown out at third trying to stretch it to a triple.

Sam Houston plated a run in the top of the second, but that would be the only run to come across for the Bearkats in the game.

Baylor had a baserunner in every inning, with six different Bears recording hits.

After pitching 5.1 scoreless innings, Orme was relieved by West in the middle of the sixth inning, with the freshman working out of a bases-loaded jam with a strikeout and a force out at home plate.

With West in the circle to close out the seventh, the leadoff batter got on before a double play from West to Rhein Trochim and a game-ending strikeout secured the win for the Bears.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   The Bears move to 53-30 all-time against the Bearkats
  *   Zadie LaValley recorded her second multi-hit game this season, 5th in her career
  *   Sydney Collazos recorded her 9th multi-hit game this season and in her career.
  *   The Bears recorded eight hits
  *   Six different Bears recorded a hit
  *   Kaci West recorded her first save this season
  *   Dariana Orme picked up the win, improving to 9-10 on the season
TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the game…
“This was a very well-played game on both sides. We knew they were better than their record because of all the close games they’ve lost. Vento was tough tonight and really pitched a great game not allowing us to put hits together, but we have some hitters starting to show up who have been struggling, so I hope that’s a sign we are about to get things back on track.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>