No. 6 Baylor Equestrian Opens Nationals Against No. 3 Texas A&M

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Wed Apr 13 16:58:56 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 13, 2022

No. 6 Baylor EQ Opens Nationals Against No. 3 Texas A&M
Bears and Aggies split two matchups in 2021-22 regular season

WACO, Texas – No. 6-seeded Baylor equestrian (7-7) begins its quest at the 2022 NCEA National Championship on Thursday, April 14, against No. 3 Texas A&M (12-4), with first rides set for 1:30 p.m. CT at the World Equestrian Center in Ocala, Fla.

A BU win over TAMU would earn the Bears a spot in Friday’s semifinals, which begin at 1 p.m. CT. Back-to-back victories would book the Bears a berth to Saturday’s championship starting at 11 a.m. CT.

After splitting this year’s contests, the Bears trail the Aggies in the all-time series, 16-8. Baylor defeated Texas A&M in the fall by a final of 12-7 in Waco and swept all four events. But, the Aggies won a tight rematch in the spring, 10-8, in College Station.

“We know we’re perfectly capable of going up against them in all four events and holding our own,” said head coach Casie Maxwell. “We definitely have a lot of confidence going in. But, we’ve got to be on our best. What I would encourage my team is, all of those meets are in the past, and the only thing that matters at this point is what we do on Thursday.”

For the first time in 15 years, the national event has moved outside of Waco, as Auburn plays host at the prestigious venue in central Florida. The tournament format takes place over three days with a single-elimination dual-discipline bracket featuring the nation’s top eight teams.

Last year, BU upset the No. 1 team in the nation, Auburn, to reach the semis for the first time in the Maxwell era. All-Big 12 performers Caroline Fuller (Jumping Seat), Marley Mainwaring (Horsemanship), Shelby Clausen (Reining) and Andie Pratt, the 2021-22 Big 12 Reining Rider of the Year, will look to lead the Bears in pursuit of another strong postseason run.

BU’s Jumping Seat squad is heating up, winners of each of its last four events at the Big 12 Championship, while Reining has performed at a high level all season, leading the way with 36 individual point wins. Baylor’s Horsemanship team also collected two shutouts this year, the most by any single event.

A full schedule of events, live scoring links, updated brackets and live web stream links are available at the NCEA Championship Central<https://collegiateequestrian.com/sports/2022/2/7/2022%20nationals.aspx> page.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)