No. 21 Baylor WT Tops Kansas State, 4-1

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 8 18:47:41 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 8, 2022

No. 21 Baylor WT Tops Kansas State, 4-1
Bears take control in first home match in more than a month
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – No. 21 Baylor women’s tennis (14-6) put together a strong showing in front of the home crowd with a 4-1 win over No. 52 Kansas State (9-10) Friday afternoon at Hurd Tennis Center.

The Bears were in control from the start as they took the doubles point. No. 3 Mel Krywoj and Alicia Herrero left no doubt with their 6-1 win on court one. Isabella Harvison and Alina Shcherbinina were close behind them with a 6-3 victory on court three to clinch the point for BU.

It was a battle in singles action, but the Bears continued to fight. Paula Baranano doubled BU’s lead with her 7-5, 6-3 win on court six.

After Kansas State got on the board with a win on court one, Baylor strung together a pair of wins to clinch the match. Shcherbinina fought through a second-set tiebreaker to top Ioana Gheorghita, 6-4, 7-6(3). Anita Sahdiieva then followed with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Rosanna Maffei on court five.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor moves to 5-2 in Big 12 play this season.
  *   Third-ranked Mel Krywoj and Alicia Herrero picked up their 14th win in dual play this spring.
  *   Isabella Harvison and Alina Shcherbinina recorded their first win as a duo.
  *   Shcherbinina picked up her team-leading 16th singles win of the spring.

QUOTE
Joey Scrivano on the match…
“Great effort from the team today. It all started in doubles. They were really focused and ready to play. In singles, I love the way we responded. Kansas State is a tough team. We’ve had a lot of tough matches with them over the years. We knew that it was going to be a fight. Thankfully our confidence won over fear, and we did a great job of being present, going for our shots and playing aggressive.”

UP NEXT
No. 21 Baylor hosts No. 25 Kansas at 11 a.m. on Sunday. Cub Tennis will be held at 10 a.m. on the Riverside courts. Hats will be given away as long as supplies last.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>