No. 10 Baylor VB Starts Big 12 Play With a Win

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Sep 25 19:03:37 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 25, 2021

No. 10 VB Starts Big 12 Play With a Win
The Bears defeated K-State, 3-0.
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

MANHATTAN, Kan. – No. 10 Baylor volleyball downed K-State, 3-0, on Saturday in the Little Apple, winning their first Big 12 Conference game of the season and extending their winning streak. The Bears' win ended the Wildcats' eight-match winning streak.

Baylor improved to 6-3 on the season and starts the conference slate at 1-0 while K-State fell to 9-3 and 0-1. The Bears took the match in quick fashion at 25-16, 25-21, and 25-17. It was BU’s fourth-straight clean sweep.

Avery Skinner was the player of the night, leading the team in kills with 17, a season-high for the transfer, as well as leading in blocks with three. She had a hitting percentage of .467 with 17 kills, three errors and 30 attempts. Yossiana Pressley was just behind her with 16 kills on 32 attempts and finished at a .406 attack percentage.

The Bears will face the Wildcats again on Sunday with a 5 p.m. start time in Bramlage Coliseum to try and sweep the series.

How it Happened
SET ONE
The Bears won the first point with an Avery Skinner kill to start it off. The Wildcats went on a three-point unanswered scoring run but the Bears put a stop to it. The Bears went up 6-4 thanks to great coverage on defense by Hannah Sedwick and Lauren Harrison on a long rally. Skinner continued to produce kills, and Shanel Bramschreiber put out an ace for BU to make it 12-8. Baylor pushed it all the way to 18-14 with good moves by Sedwick and Skinner as well as Preslie Anderson. After an attack from Skinner made it 21-15, Kansas State called their second timeout of the set. The Bears cruised through the last four points and K-State only put one more tick on their board, finishing in 25-16.

SET TWO
Baylor started at a two-point deficit but brought it back in their favor quickly, going on a four-point run to make it 5-3. The Bears and Wildcats tied it up at 10-10 with an error on KSU. Baylor continued to pull ahead but K-State kept it close. They tied it up again at 18-18 but Baylor pulled back ahead on a K-State error. Skinner continued to produce throughout the set, finishing the second set with 14 kills overall.

SET THREE
BU scored five unanswered points to start the set off right. After K-State recorded their first two points of the set, Baylor would answer with two more, and then the Wildcats went on a five-point run of their own. Preslie Anderson decided the third set was her time and ran with it, stopping the run and adding some points for the Bears off two blocks and two kills to make it 13-8. The set seemed to move slowly as K-State put on the pressure. Three attack errors in a row from K-State made it 18-12. Kills by Sedwick and Pressley finished off the match, accompanied by attack errors for the Wildcats. The Bears took set three at 25-17.

BEAR BITES

  *   Avery Skinner led the team in kills, blocks and points for the night.
  *   Baylor didn’t let one K-State serve hit the floor for an ace on the night.
  *   Baylor is 67-30 under Ryan McGuyre in Big 12 play.
  *   Baylor has had an attack percentage above .300 for four-straight matches now.
  *   Baylor has won five-straight matches, with four in a row being clean sweeps.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Ryan McGuyre
“I thought our first ball side-out was really good, I liked how we were hitting in the first set above .400. Hannah [Sedwick] did a really good job distributing the ball and our first swings I thought were really good. Passing was really sharp for us tonight. Tomorrow I think we want to be cleaner on our digs and our transition game. We had some good hits and K-State still moved the ball around in some unique areas. I thought a couple tips we maybe picked up but we couldn’t run our middles as much as I’d like to off some of those tips, so we have to be better on that. This was maybe the first match of the season where I was a little discouraged by their blocking, we’ve done a good job of blocking all year. It probably changed the match a few times. I’d like to see our block come alive a lot sooner tomorrow.”

Sunday’s match will be broadcast on ESPNU with Courtney Lyle and Missy Whittemore as the talent. Live stats are available via the Baylor volleyball schedule. A full recap and final statistics will be posted to www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com> after the conclusion of the match.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVball.

Up Next
The Bears face K-State once more on Sunday with a 5 p.m. CT start time, then return home to Waco where they will take on Texas Tech in back-to-back matches on October 1 and 2.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)