No. 17 Baylor VB Takes No. 7 Florida in Straight Sets

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Sep 11 20:35:49 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 11, 2021

No. 17 VB Takes No. 7 Florida in Straight Sets
The Bears’ Lauren Harrison had a .500 attack percentage on the night.
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – No. 17 Baylor volleyball swept No. 7 Florida in three-straight sets, not allowing the Gators to score 20 in any of the three on Saturday night in Exatech Arena.

The Bears (3-3) handed Florida (4-3) their first back-to-back home non-conference losses since 2014, where they fell to Texas 1-3 and then Marquette 2-3.

Florida had not been swept in three-straight sets yet this season, but the Bears delivered it. Baylor won the first set at 25-19, the second at 25-18, and the third in 25-16. The Gators hadn’t lost a match at 3-0 since they fell to No. 3 Kentucky at home in March of 2021 in the extended 2020 season.

The Bears won both matches against UF on the weekend to even the all-time series at 2-2.

Lauren Harrison once again was the shining light for the Bears, with a .500 attack percentage in Saturday’s matchup. She led the team in kills with 14, dethroning Yossiana Pressley’s four-match streak as the kills leader.

Hannah Sedwick had 31 assists to lead the team, and assisted on five blocks as well. Kara McGhee helped build some brick walls for the Bears, with seven block assists. Pressley led the team in digs with nine and had 13 kills.

SET ONE
Baylor started out hot, putting five-straight points on the Gators, uninterrupted, with two Lauren Harrison kills. Florida put two points up on the Bears, which BU answered quickly, but then the Gators repaid again. Florida brought themselves back into the match but the Bears were prepared. They matched each other point-for-point and a media timeout was called when Baylor led 15-13. Baylor scored the next two, and Florida’s Mary Wise wasn’t content, calling a timeout of her own. Florida errors added to the Green & Gold’s lead, making it 22-16 when wise would pause again. A kill by Yossiana Pressley coupled with two more attack errors by the Gators would end the set in the Bears’ favor.

SET TWO
The Bears got it rolling with two-straight kills from Lauren Harrison. Baylor and Florida would keep matching each other’s points early. The Gators were pushing back on BU, but the Green & Gold were answering their pressure. The Bears had three-straight points, two in a row coming from Avery Skinner. With one point scored for the Gators from a BU service error, Baylor got right back at it with another three-straight points; this time from Pressley and Harrison with an attack error on UF in between to make it 11-9. They went back to swapping points at 15-all, but Skinner helped break the pattern. Baylor gained steam at the 18-16 mark. The next three-point Baylor run was thanks to attack errors from the Gators, but a Pressley kill made it 22-18. BU went in on the last few opportunities full force, and took the set 25-18, not allowing Florida to reach the 20-point mark in two-straight sets.

SET THREE
BU started off with a Pressley kill, followed by Harrison and Skinner. Florida had kills of their own to make it 7-3 when Florida called timeout. There was an ace by Shanel Bramschreiber, then a Florida error and blocks from Hannah Sedwick, Kara McGhee and Pressley made it 12-3. The Bears kept pulling ahead but Florida was trying to catch up. Baylor didn’t let them get too close, going up 18-12. Skinner and Pressley were responsible for the last few kills, with the final point coming from a Harrison shot. The Bears kept it rolling, pushing all the way to set point and set win to sweep the Gators. The last set moved quickly, and was won 25-16 by the Bears.

BEAR BITES

  *   Baylor held UF below 20 points in all three sets.
  *   BU gave Florida their first back-to-back home non-conference losses since 2014, and their first 3-0 loss since March 2020.
  *   The Bears evened the all-time series with Florida at 2-2.
  *   Lauren Harrison had a .500 attack percentage on the night, and was the kills leader for the Bears with 14.
  *   Yossiana Pressley is on track to pass Elisha Polk for career kills leader this season. Pressley has already recorded 110 kills and needs just 140 to match her.
  *   Hannah Sedwick is heading toward her 4,000th career assist. She has recorded 193 this season and needs 30 to hit it. She recorded 47 in match one and 34 in match two, totaling 81 against the Gators.
  *   All matches but one have either been streamed or broadcasted so far this season.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Ryan McGuyre
“A great team second-night performance. We feel the better team wins on night two so I’m really proud of our girls. As far as listening to the adjustments that we made, I thought Hannah Sedwick did a phenomenal job with her decisions and her set location. We were able to take some swings and show them some different looks offensively that opened it up and had us hitting at a much higher percentage tonight than we did the night before. I’m also proud of the adjustments we made on defense to slow them down and limit them a little bit more. I thought we served so much better to challenge them. We were able to keep the pressure on from the first point forward.”

“Lauren Harrison is a key All-American for us. Early on the rhythm with her wasn’t good and was the missing piece. When Lauren’s at her best, we’re closer to our best as a team for sure.”

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVball.

NEXT UP
The Bears will host Rice and McNeese State in the Baylor Classic on their home court, September 16-18 in Waco.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)