Baylor Cross Country Heads to Stillwater for Big 12 Championship

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Thu Oct 28 11:34:59 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 28, 2021

Baylor Cross Country Heads to Stillwater for Big 12 Championship
Men’s 8K will begin at 10 a.m. CT, followed by women’s 6K at 11 a.m. CT

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor cross country hits the road to compete for the 2021 Big 12 Championship Friday at the Oklahoma State XC Course in Stillwater, Okla.

“Everything leading up to this is about getting ready for this type of a race,” head cross country coach David Barnett said. “The championships are what matters the most in our sports. Everything that we’ve been doing is to peak this weekend and the upcoming regionals. So, we’re excited about it.”

The Bears will send seven men’s runners and 10 women’s runners to the championship to match up with three of the top-15 teams in the country on the men’s side and two top-25 opponents on the women’s side.

Representing the men’s team in the 8K, set to begin at 10 a.m. CT, will be Alec Atteberry, Ryan Day, Ryan Hodge, Kade Hulett, Christopher Martinez, Philip Roxas and Drew Snyder. The women’s 6K will follow at 11 a.m. CT, with Ellie Friesen, Chloe Gangnath, Hayden Gold, Celia Holmes, Lily Jacobs, Mazie Larsen, Jordan Ledington, Devon Vopni, Taylor Whitfield and Alaina Zamorano competing for Baylor.

“I think they’re doing really well,” Barnett said. “There’s always a transition period with a new coach and new athletes coming in. But, I think everyone’s been making the most of their opportunities. We’ve been able to stay relatively healthy. And I think people have been getting better and better each race. So, I think our best races are still ahead of us.”

 The meet will be televised live on Big 12 Now on ESPN+<https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/id/5e4d333f-53bb-4b33-a1d2-a7900e29e6af>, and live results will be provided by Prime Time Timing<https://live.pttiming.com/xc-ptt.html?mid=4637>.

“I think the biggest thing is, running your best in a championship is what I’ve always prided myself in helping people do that,” Barnett said. “So, just helping people get over the top in their Big 12 competition this weekend, that would be big for me.”

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>