Baylor SB Drops Two at Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Fri May 14 17:39:17 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 14, 2021

SB Drops Two at Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>
Media Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ozl5qmjpgp4dbe5/AACnmE2mco5ZSCVR6KkM8tx8a?dl=0

THE RUNDOWN
OKLAHOMA CITY – Baylor softball dropped both games in Friday’s Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship action. The Lady Bears will face the third-place team from Pool B at 10:30 a.m. Saturday on Integris Field at the USA Softball Hall of Fame Complex.

GAME 1: TEXAS TECH 8, BAYLOR 6
Emily Hott smashed a solo shot over the wall in right center field to give the Lady Bears an early 1-0 lead. It marked the second-straight at-bat for Hott to crank a homer against the Lady Raiders as last at-bat of the series in March was a two-run shot over the left field wall to tie the game in the sixth inning.

BU held onto that lead until the third inning when Texas Tech plated four runs, all with two outs.

Baylor got a run back in the bottom of the frame when Taylor Ellis delivered an RBI single up the middle to score Lou Gilbert who led off the frame with her 13th bunt single of the year.

The Lady Raiders added four more in the top of the seventh, but BU refused to go down without a fight.

Lou Gilbert led off the final frame with a single and advanced to third off a throwing error by Texas Tech. She scored soon after when Hott hit a sacrifice fly to right field.

Baylor wasn’t done as Goose McGlaun singled and Aliyah Binford walked to put two on for Ellis who blasted her XX home run of the season over the right field wall to cut the Texas Tech lead to two.

GAME 2: OKLAHOMA 10, BAYLOR 2 (5)
Baylor carried the momentum over from a seventh-inning rally against Texas Tech to the top inning against the top-seeded Sooners as the Lady Bears scored some runs and shut out Oklahoma for a strong start.

BU got things rolling in the first as Emily Hott singled to right field and Goose McGlaun drew a walk to put two runners on with one out. Hott then stole third and came home on a throwing error by the Sooners. That put McGlaun on third base for Taylor Ellis who roped a single up the middle.

Oklahoma took the lead for good in the second inning.

Baylor had a hit in every inning with the two in the first, a single by Hannah Smith in the second, a single by McGlaun in the third, a double by Josie Bower in the fourth and a single by Aliyah Binford in the fifth.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Taylor Ellis now has a hit in 12-straight games. That is a career high for the fifth-year senior.
  *   Ellis hit her fourth home run of the season and 11th of her career against Texas Tech.
  *   Emily Hott hit her fourth career home run and third of the season. Hott hit her first bomb of the year at Texas Tech on March 28.
  *   Gia Rodoni finished with a season-high 11 strikeouts against Texas Tech.

STAT OF THE DAY
12 – Straight games that Taylor Ellis has recorded a hit. That puts her two games shy of seventh in program history.

TOP QUOTE
Baylor head coach Glenn Moore on the game…
“I’m a little baffled by this team right now. We had a great presence at practice yesterday and had a great practice. I thought we would play a lot better, but with the mental and physical errors, we certainly didn’t look like we were ready to play.”

UP NEXT
The Lady Bears will face the third-place team from Pool B at 10:30 a.m. Saturday on Integris Field at the USA Softball Hall of Fame Complex.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1680052525]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>